Dear Diary

Bromm's Journal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
11 July

So much to write about, and so little time. Until now.

Furlough for the summer is upon us. We've been given two weeks leave to do whatever we wish and return fresh for the end of summer and the fall.

Last week was fel. Edania was abducted by some lunatic sorcerer and his near-equally crazed assistant. They took her deep within the Scholomance. Anthal was in a terrible state the two days she was held, as can be expected. I requested the Commander's permission to utilize my Plaguewoods team for an extraction on Thursday. We did so successfully.

Successfully may be the wrong word. Successful i nthat we were able to break in and recover Edania. but she had been grievously tortured and altered. The weirdos had fused some strange truesilver wires into her muscle and bones. It gives her nightmares and makes her whisper things...

Coehen was returned to us the next evening. He'd been on assignment in Ashenvale for some time, posing an acting as a laborer. It was refreshing having him back. Coehen expressed his wariness at Edania's state, which I share wholeheartedly. Andann says that the Fabius Bile fellow who'd tortured her had been a target of his before when he'd been with SI:7. Says he plunged a dagger in his heart.

Great, another undead wack-job to deal with. And it sounds as if he's targeting Servitors.

Sunday was the day of the Naxxramas assault. Sadly, I wasn't picked for the mission itself but I was able to help with the diversion assault on the Bulwark on the Tirisfal border. Gave them Forsaken a right spook. Doubt theysaw it coming at all and I'm sure they're right furious with us now after that. But it was what was needed to keep the main team out of the spotlight. Didn't want the Horde or even fellow Alliance to know our true intentions. I'm sure there's bound to be a slew of anti-undead accusations flung our way. Fel if I care.

Told Prikka we needed to get a team in to the Plaguewoods as soon as can be managed. After speaking with Edania, Prikka, and Kalicity, we think that the Bile incident and the Plaguewoods emanations may be connected in some way. If there's any answers to be found, the Plaguewoods seem to hold the key.

Over furlough I plan to continue my Plague Research. Add to the list the possible execution of the Gundrak assault, continued scouting of the Plaguewoods, investigation on Fabius Bile, and time spent to replenish the guild's and my own stores of herbs and I may as well not be on leave at all.

And add to all that the flatout suggestion by Prikka to ask Urika to dinner.

Light, it's going to be a busy two weeks.

Preparing for my Plague Research travels today though. Maybe that will help take my mind off things.

<Potion of the day!>

Quote:
Frost Weapon Coating

Weapon Coating

Description: Applies a super-cooled potion to your weapon. Will apply sub-zero temperature blasts upon enemy contact or spellcast.

Ingredients: Icecap x4, Icethorn x1

Process:
1. Heat water in cauldron to a very mild temperature.
2. Extinguish heat-source of cauldron.
3. Add four (4) crushed icecaps to the mix, stir until the temperature reaches freezing with the cauldron.
4. Add one (1) icethorn to the mix, stir until mixture begins to frost over the cauldron.
5. Bottle and store at freezing temperatures. Keep secure as the vial will be fragile. Handle carefully.

12 July

Once I'm done writing this I'll be on a gryphon bound for Stormwind. Finally going to be continuing my research.

Last night there was a fair number of folks gathered around the fireside. It was a pleasant evening. Nothing really pressing on any of us, just sitting and conversing.

Conversation eventually got round to what we were all planning on doing over furlough. I was hesitant to tell most of my plans. Especially with Urika staring daggers at me. I'm glad I did though. Probably saved my arse from a fool's folly. Alakhai mentioned the idea of posing as a crewman for The Chieftans if they ever stopped in Silvermoon. Etharion said that Theo's brother might be of some help. Coehen also thought I was mad for wanting to visit the Sunwell too.

Maybe they're right. Maybe I am crazy. Maybe I am naive. Prikka may have said it the best.

"I know you always look for the best in everyone, but sometimes that can't be done."

But if I don't, then why put my faith in people at all? The day I give up trusting in the goodness of people will be the day I hang up my sword and alchemy kit. It's for that hope alone I do what I do.

Didn't even get to tell them about Flit or home... I suppose trudging headlong into Horde territory takes too much concern for others to worry about a raptor and a humble clan of dwarves.

After a time, we spoke of different things and Kulsten spoke about working on his weapons training. Seems like an ambitious sort, wanting to master every type of melee weapon. Mentioned he wanted to start with swords. I gave him some input on how to best begin. They started me off with a rusty shortsword, that was painful. I hope he doesn' need to start that way.

First stop on my journey is Northshire Abbey. Hopefully the clerics there may be able to show me a thing or two, they have an extensive library.

Best stop scratching away, Guthrum's got my gryphon saddled and ready to go. Write more later hopefully.

<Potion of the day!>

Quote:
Entanglement Potion

Offensive Potion

Description: Causes a web of roots to burst from the ground in the target area, grasping and entangling anything that walks through them.

Ingredients: Gnarlroot x6, Swiftthistle x4

Process:
1. Grind three (3) gnarlroot into a soft powder.
2. Grind one (1) swiftthistle into a soft powder. Mix gnarlroot powder.
3. Add mixture to cauldron.
4. Add one (1) raw swiftthistle to the cauldron.
5. Stir until a blueish-green color is attained.
6. Repeat steps 1-4.
7. Stir until a bright green color is attained.
8. Bottle and store.

12 July, afternoon

It is peaceful here. It has been so long since I sat and enjoyed the soft breeze and warm sun in Northshire Valley.

Upon my arrival here, I met with Marshal McBride. The clerics there were happy to see me after such a long time, and I them. But the lands has changed since I was here last. A band of Blackrock orcs began to invade and pillage the land not long after the Shattering. The clerics here have told me that they've been relying on mercenaries and guards to keep the rabble at bay. Before I could conduct and of my research I was asked to help the clerics deal with this threat. I lead a smirmish team against the orcs and harrassed their supplies and flanks. There's not enough manpower in the region to deal with them properly yet but my efforts didn't go to waste.

The skirmishing lasted most of the morning and part of the afternoon. We were able to return to the abbey with all accounted for and only a few wounded.

I write this now in the mid-afternoon sun. Upon my return I helped heal those injured and then took a late lunch before resting out on the grounds.

It's peaceful here, despite the efforts of the Blackrock orcs.

I'll begin my research after this entry.

Last edited by Brommidor Stonebrow on Jul. 13th, 2011 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

13 July

Spent the night onboard The Endeavor. A day earlier than planned but I enjoy the familiarity of the place. Will write of the reason in a moment.

After lunch yesterday, I spent the rest of the afternoon and much of the evening in the Library Wing of the Abbey reading and researching what was on hand. Light, I had idea there were that many books! Luckily, a priestess named Anetta who had a thorough knowledge of the library was gracious enough to lend me a hand in finding the right sorts of books. If you had never spent any time in an abbey you'd think all there would be to read would be religious texts. This is a common fallacy. Even monks have more interests than the Light alone, and their collection of texts reflected this. There was everything from cookbooks to combat techniques, historical texts, and even fictional works.

I'd taken my supper in a reading room with the books I'd been looking at and as the evening came to a close I'd decided to give myself some fresh air before rest.

I decided to take a walk about the grounds, taking in the nuances of secluded valley one last time before my departing. It was then that I was hailed over the comm by Edania. I'd been keeping my comm on a lower setting since furlough began due to the drunken vocies that seem to continue finding their way across it. Does no one respect the unit channel for what it is anymore? Anyway.

She wanted to know how the potions had been coming along (lass, you asked me yesterday!) so she agreed to meet me in Northshire and inquire. I'd told her that I'd gotten the materials yesterday and that there were a few mix-ups in what I'd informe dher on the potion. And then she asked if there was any way I could tweak the potion to work for a whole MONTH.

I know people don't normally respect alchemy and in some cases outright abuse it, but when they need something from a potionsmaster they expect it to work better and longer. Do people not udnerstand how harmful extended potions use is? I tried to tell her that oncreasing the duration of the effect may prove to be too harmful (fel, it could outright drain her powers if the ingredients were off) but she insisted that she wanted something that could last a whole month. It's going to take every damned bit of research and know-how I've got to figure this problem out... by tonight even.

Bloody fel, and all that on top of the monumental task of pouring over not only the Church of the Light texts, but the Silver Hand records as well. I'd only planned on being in Stormwind for one day (a squeeze in time in and of itself) but now all this business may make me stay another day, or half day at least.

Well, that can't be fixed at this point so I'll just buck up and make the best of it.

After we'd fnished our talk Edania invited me to the tavern in Old Town where she'd said a few Servitors were relaxing and conversing. I'd wanted to stay the night in Northshire but the call for ale and friendly talk overcame me so we trotted on over and met with a few people. The Commander, Hildan, Prikka, and Aedolphine were all there. Hermogenes and Kandrinell joined us later. It was pleasant, for a while. Discussion ranged from our doings over furlough, to our favorite drinks, and even some tinkering discussion between Hermogenes and Edania...

Which lead to the most distressing part of the evening.

Kandrinell mentioned something about undeath and Edania started going bonkers. I've seen it happen before and known to see her become slightly violent, but this was something I was only too terrified to witness.

Not only was Edania flipping her lid, but Prikka began to as well. And whats worse is they nearly had a bloody row in fel-fecking public! Light, I pray that no passerby witnesed and assumed our unit had finally gone over the edge, seeing two seemingly possessed spellweavers cursing threats at each other and clawing at their swordbrothers. Eventually Kand and I stepped in, each taking one of the two lasses and finally separating them until they'd regained their minds. Prikka was in a right state after she'd come back and was in no mood for talking so I bid her a farewell (belatedly as she'd jumped on her little flying rug not three steps out the door). It was all I could do after that to make my way to The Endeavor for some peace and quiet.

And Light, that never happened. A few other Servitors were spending the night and I spent a little while setting up my alchemy equipment in anticipation of the new anit-magic potions. Their conversation and my preparation kept me awake for a long while. It was well in to the night before I'd gotten to sleep, and it seemed only shortly after that I awoke.

Been sitting at the dining table with a strong pot of coffee by my side as I write this. Off to the Cathedral first. The Church has strict limits of records visitations, even for a lightbringer. Will write more later.

13 July, afternoon

Going to do a little work on the potions for Edania this afternoon before visiting the Silver Hand records hall.

Was able to get in to the hall of records at the Cathedral the moment it opened. And I am grateful the caretaker was so kind and accomodating. He helped me find just the right texts, which was so helpful since their records hall is about four times the size of Northshire's and mostly lacking in the flavor texts the monks keep.

I've just now returned from lunch after being down in the dank, musty records room for nearly six hours. Light be praised that I could accomplish so much in such a confined timeframe. Brother Richard was kind enough to promise to help me with more readings should I wish to return to the records hall again in the future. He seemed to appreciate the mission I'd set for myself. So far I've gotten mixed reviews from all those I've told. Some think I'm over-optimistic, others think I'm some blasphemous fiend for wanting to "help" the undead. But no matter what they say, it seems they all agree I'm a fool or daft for trying.

I never thought this would be an easy task to accomplish, but I'd never expected that other people would be as imposingly formidible as the expanse of research I plan to do.

Light, give me the strength and conviction to continue this work. I know that it is meaningful and will serve a great purpose either for myself or for others yet unknown. Keep my goals lofty, and my cause righteous.

<Potion of the day for the 13th!>

Quote:
Heating Potion

General Potion

Description: Simply shaking this vial will cause it to emitt a heat strong enough to boil water, yet mild enough to not burn the user. You can also pour the mixture into a drink or on to near anything in order to warm the desired object.

Ingredients: Emberthorn x2

Process:
1. Crush two (2) emberthorn into a powder.
2. Mix powder with a small amount of luke-warm water.
3. Stir until the mix creates a bright red hue and there are few particulates.
4. Bottle and store.

14 July, morning

Spent the afternoon yesterday working on and brewing the stronger anti-magic potions for Edania. I feel it only right to deem them "Super Anti-Magic" potions. Hmm. If I were a gnome or goblin I might have added an 'Xtreme' onto that. Oh silly tinkering folk. I managed to boost the effectiveness of the potion from 1 day to 1 fortnight, or at least thats what I'm assuming it will do. Without proper testing I really can't be sure. Incredible even now thinking of it. She asked for one that would last for a month. Looking at the expected arcane dust and dreamfoil levels that would be required to theoretically induce such a prolonged effect, I feared that it would be too much for one body to withstand, causing either failure to recuperate magical abilities, severe side-effects such as massive hdeaches, or even the possibility of death. A fortnight will do for her if she wants to do this within as safe as parameters as possible.

After a supper at the Blue Recluse, I found my way over to the Silver Hand records room. Light be praised that it's not near as big as even the Northshire collection. Keeping documents only pertaining to, and written by former and current Knights.

A late evening followed the book reading so I decided to plunk off early, having not heard word from Edania. I'll meet up with her tomorrow in Ironforge perhaps.

I'll be leaving on the eight o'clock tram to Ironforge here in a bit. Will most likely be crowded with commuters, as usual.

<Potion of the day! Touching on the more destructive brands of potions with this a la goblin alchemists.>

Quote:
Inferno Potion

Offensive Potion

Description: When thrown, this potions erupts in a large, fiery inferno. Useful for demolition, distractions, and when largely outnumbered. Warning: Recommended not to be used in dry or windy conditions. "Only you can prevent wildfires."

Ingredients: Firebloom x4, Emberthorn x4, Foxtail Grass x2

Process:
1. CAREFULLY grind four (4) firebloom into a powder and add powder to boiling cauldron.
2. Soak two (2) emberthorn in a separate boiling pot for fifteen minutes.
3. Add the emberthorn to the cauldron.
4. Stir mixture until a red color is attained.
5. Repeat steps 2-3.
6. Stir mixture until steaming occurs and small red bubbles begin floating off the brew.
7. Bottle in vial.
8. Add dried foxtail grass to vial. This will act as fuel for the burn to begin when the potion is used.

15 July

Made it in a fairly good amount of time yesterday morning, despite it being the commuting hour. Once I'd reach the Ironforge end I made my way to the Mystic Ward and the Hall of Mysteries, home of my first mentors and friends in the Light.

Spent a good deal of time chatting with the Battleforges, they seem to be doing fine as ever. One of the nicest couples I've met and yet one of the most stringent when it comes to training. After reuniting with some old faces I was allowed to look at the records room kept there. It's much more comfortable there than in Stormwind. Something nicer about a good, solid cavern that will beat the musty, hot tunnels of the catacombs in Stormwind, especially in the middle of summer.

The head priest, High Priest Rohan, even accompanied me in my study and gave plenty of useful tidbits and information for my research. Despite the Church of Light having a much less prominent niche in dwarven society, there are many things that are known and taught through the dwarven priesthood that are not seen in the human priesthood. Curious, but I expect that every race is similar in this way. (Note: I wonder what sort of take the gnomes may have on this? Remind self to speak with a few of them, possibly the teachers along with Prikka and Jane.)

After a good morning of research, I took lunch in the Commons. Busy as ever, and I love seeing it this way. I returned to my work for the afternoon and lingered a bit longer in the evening before heading to Bruuk's for dinner. I think the barmaid there might be one of the ones that Urika was telling me about. I made sure to keep my seat at the bar so she'd steer clear from me but she seemed quite occupied serving a table full of brawny looking elves. I wonder if they know if she's that kind of barmaid?

Anyway. After dinner I went to find a bed. Bodan was kind enough to lend me his spare room. I expect he'll want an extra tip for that in my storage payment next month, but no matter. Got to check on my store while I was with him and I hadn't realized how much I'd taken for the Naxxramas effort. Well, better they be used than sit around in a storehouse until the Burning Steppes freeze over.

The lads down at the Argent Dawn Crusade, blast it all, Argent Dawn office in Stormwind told me about one of theirs that was based in Dun Morogh doing some plague research hismelf. I'm planning to go meet and speak with him and then spend the rest of the day at home. It'll be a nice surprise for Ma and the Winterhammers. Maybe I'll go see Uncle Boras at the quarry and check up on him. It was strange not seeing him at the Midsummer Feast. Wonder what he's got to say about Theo?

Need t get in touch with Edania. She hasn't been answering my comm calls to her since Monday. It makes me a bit worried, for both her and those that are watching her.

Write more later. Saddle up now.

<Potion of the day!>

Quote:
Lightning Weapon Coating

Wapon Coating

Description: Coats weapon in a lightning substance which causes small jolts of electricity to shock upon impact.

Ingredients: Thunderbloom bulb xx4, Thunderoot x1)

Process:
1. Use luke-warm water in cauldron.
2. Chop one (1) thunderoot into five separate pieces.
3. Add one (1) slice of thunderoot to water.
4. Insert one (1) slice of thunderoot to the center of each thunderbloom bulb carefully.
5. Add one (1) thunderbloom bulb with thunderoot slice to the mixutre once every ten minutes.
6. Stir continuously between each additional thunderbloom bulb.
7. Once potion attains a crackling blue look, bottle potion for use. HANDLE CAREFULLY.

16 July

Well, my journey and meeting with the Argent Dawn fella, Father Gavin, wasn't as successful as I'd hoped. Apparently he had been doing research on the plague for some years but once the Cataclysm hit, his small encampment became a refuge for those who'd lost homes from troggs, Gnomeregan, and whatever else. I think most came from the Northern Dun Morogh avalanche zone. Instead of research I helped Father Gavin out with tending to the refugees, a lad named Buin was there helping and had sold all his armor and weapons to pay for food. I gave what coin I could for the effort and donated some potions for use. I told Father Gavin that while I was up in the plaguelands I'd send word to Hearthglen about supplies for his refuge. Light knwos they need it.

After that I headed to Copperville and the house for the rest of the day. Ma was sure surprised to see me back. I doubt any of them thought I'd visit so soon after Midsummer, they liked it I think. Rowan and Uncle Ordan were out working and Liira was off in the woods doing... something naturey, so it was just Ma and Aunt Hulna there until supper time. It was a grand day and evening. Liira told me she was looking to begin training with some Wildhammer shaman up in the Hinterlands. Uncle Ordan and Aunt Hulna seemed fair opposed but I think that since they knew I was based at the Aerie and had a fairly successful career with the Knights, they were willing to give Liira a shot.

Spent msot of the afternoon with Flit. Little lad's still the same size but more energetic than ever. Rowan's been keeping good care of him.

Today I chose to spend here at home again. I had planned on going up north to Tirisfal but since there's a guild get together of sorts tomorrow I figured it wouldn't matter much if I held off a couple days. Breakfast is cooking. Food takes precedence, write more later!

<Potion of the day - July 16>

Quote:
Headache Reliever

Curing Potion

Description: Concocted to relieve headaches of any kind, from a simple bump on the head to a full-blown migraine.

Ingredients: Mint Leaf x3, Dreamfoil x4

Process:
1. Dice three (3) mint leaves into small pieces.
2. Add mint leaves to cauldron, stir until a minty aroma and a light green hue are achieved.
3. Add four (4) dreamfoil stalks to the cauldron.
4. Stir until the potion takes on a cool blue hue and emitts vapors that may make you drowsy.
5. Bottle and store.
6. Take nap if still drowsy.

17 July

Currently on a blasted boat to Theramore. Why did we decide to have this thing on Kalimdor? Ruddy boats.

Yesterday was as good as Friday. Spent more time with Rowan, Uncle Ordan, and Liira since they didn't have to work. I trekked out to the quarry to see if I could fine Uncle Boras. Sure enough, I found him at his tent, foreman hat on, yelling his lungs off at a couple greenhorns. That was a sight for sore eyes. He was happy to see me, but he seemed extremely weary. Said that he'd missed the Midsummer Feast due to a trogg burst in a tunnel on the eighth depth. Said that the problem was "contained" and they've been fine with mining since. I managed to convince him to come to supper at home with us. It was grand. There hadn't been a gathering of Stonebrows that large since before the mining accident...

Ah yes. That's what else I did. In the afternoon I went to Da, Drann, and Gurrik's gravesites. Their simple quarrystone markers were still in fine shape, a bit windblown but not enough for serious wear. I left some flowers and herbs for them. Some mountain silversage, a few goldclovers, some peacebloom petals, wild steelbloom, and an immaculate moonpetal lily I'd gotten from a trader in Stormwind. Came from the moon pools of Teldrassil itself. Spent a while there, just standing. If I'd had the words to speak to them I would've.

<A break occurs here, as if the writer had set down their book for a while and then picked it up once more sometime later>

Made my way back to the Aerie late last night. Found Prikka, Edania, and Urika down in the great room so I settled in and joined the conversation. Was able to finally give Edania her potions, though it seemed she didn't have need for them any logner. Sounds like Hildan had exorcised her of the spirit of that Wren creature we saw her kill in Scholomance.

Boat's docking. Thank the Light.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 57days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1016days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre