Dear Diary

Bromm's Journal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
28 June

Spent a long time researching yesterday. I locked myself up in the alchemy lab with my recipe books, herb guides, and assorted notes from breakfast until supper. I had managed to narrow my recipe down to a few herbs but still couldn't figure out what exactly I needed for the combination. Frustrated and tired, I made my way to the keep and had supper with a squad of Wildhammers. After that they started drinking and I was in no mood (never thought I'd ever write THAT on paper) so I stalked off to the great room to think some more. It was here that I was joined by Edania, the new mage lass. It dawned on me that someone so well versed in magical theory might be able to help solve this quandary.

We discussed various herbs and their properties, as well as the theoretical use of the potion (what happened when it was imbibed or when it was thrown) and even the possible implementation of other ingredients outside of the typical herbs. I'm glad I got to speak with her about it, she's a knowledgeable lass even at her young age.

We eventually got on the subject of advancement and she admitted her desire to make for Cleric. I am so surprised at all these young novices who are so eager to advance. I understand their desire, to prove themselves within the guild, and in such a combat-heavy unit such as ours, that is what is seen as the best way to prove your worth. I just wish they'd understand that there are so many other, and more meaningful ways to show their capabilities. Or maybe I'm just the one who's not right. True, my advancements in the past have been slow but that's never bothered me. I still think that your worth in the unit is not measured by your rank or status, it's measured by your contributions and your attitude.

More later, got to go sharpen my sword in the forge.

28 June continued

Finished sharpening my sword so it has a nice bite to it. Got to be prepared for Leary's mission tonight. I pray that it goes well.

More about last night:

The rest of the evening involved the comings and goings of numerous Servitors who came to sit and chat around the hearth.

Hildan came for a while and was molding small figurines out of clay.

Prikka sat with us for a time knitting a tapestry of... a cockroach shielding other smaller cockroaches. She said it was a traditonal tale told by her upbringers. Light I don't know what to thin kabout that, but her needlework was fantastic!

Kiee stopped by and chatted and was joined by Kalicity (who I think are dating now? Maybe thats why I never see them). The pair sat in one of the larger chairs that I think we had scavenged from a tauren hut somewhere in our past.

Urika came and was talking pretty excitiedly with Edania about farsight and goggles and all sorts of other contraptions. They lost me when they started jibbering more and more about the exact ways to get a pair of goggles to see anywhere across the world. Poppycock if you ask me, but they sounded like they knew a way. Urika showed us some of the things she'd made for the tots at that Ironforge school. It was a ruddy wad of paper one second and then the next it was the spitting image of a stone as big as my head!

Kalathor came and talked a bit about tattoos. He left to go get a cup of coffee with Prikka and never returned to our circle. Hope Prikka didn't pull a Davvi on him, though I'd hope he could manage a thimble of alcohol spiking.

Jo stopped in briefly and I gave her the key to the Flare Arum potion chest. She thanked me and said she'd pick it up soemtime in the morning. Looking around now it appears as though she did just that.

As the evening wore on there was just Edania, Urika, and myself. Somehow or another (I'm still not sure how) I ended up telling them my Four and a Half tale. Light, that will haunt me the rest of my life. I think I only tell it anymore because I know that if Drann and Gurrik were still here they'd get a hoot out of it. Urika and Edania seemed to think it was funny but they were sympathetic. Urika even tried to cheer me up by telling about her own bar mishap. Defiantely not as disasterous but emabrassing nonetheless. She even said my beard looked good.

That made me feel better.

<There seems to be a recipe for a potion tucked within the pages. Atop the page is scrawled in a hasty dwarven script "Potion of the Day">

Quote:
Frenzy Potion

Type: Offensive Elixir

Description: Puts the drinker into a frenzied state. This allows the user to attack and cast spells more rapidly than normally possible. Has the same effects of a shaman's bloodlust technique. Be sure to not use in large does or in rapid succession. Unknown side-affects may occur.

Ingredients: Swiftthistle x10, Gromsblood x5

Process:
1. Grind swiftthistle into a fine powder and mix into a paste.
2. Chop Gromsblood stalks into 1/4" long pieces.
3. Add chopped Gromblood to swiftthistle paste and stir until it reaches a smooth consistency and a light red hue.

29 June

Leary's raid on the bolthole was postponed due to incliment weather last night. It's supposed to be on for tonight but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. I would like to just to get a good smack on the Forsaken.

Was back at base getting prepared for the mission all day yesterday. Once it was called off for the night I decided to head to Stormwind and see what I could manage about getting some enchanting dust for the anti-magic potion. Didn't have much luck with my usual sources so I'll have to see if someone in the unit can help me out.

Decided to cut my losses and headed for the Cathedral Square at a pretty late hour. I wanted to find Maldros, Urika, and Kalathor. Bumped into Kiee and Kalicity instead and they pointed me where I could find Urika and Mal.

Sat down with the pair of them and explained my plan for Gundrak. I told them that I wanted to have an experienced and trustworthy team so I gave them the nod for the mission. Both readily accepted, which was encouraging. They both agreed Anthal would be another good choice but had their hesitations for Kal. I can understand. As a paladin I'm charged with rooting out evil and demonic energies such as what he uses. But he's a sword brother. Which means that the officers see something in him and trust him. And if they can trust him, why shouldn't I? Plus he's a willing lad, seems eager to prove himself and this is a pretty good shot.

Afterwards I walked around the square and happened upon the Commander and Prikka. They invited me to sit with them so I did. Urika joined not long after and we had a good conversation, shooting-the-breeze like.

It was nice to sit there on the banks of that pond and just relax and converse. Especially with that company.

<Another leaf of paper has been inserted between the pages. It bears the similar hasty script of "Potion of the Day" as the previous leaf had. It seems the writer of the journal is either storing recipes writing them.>

Quote:
Stomachache Reliever

Curing Potion

Description: Typical brew for relieving stomachache and it's symptoms. Relieves both pain and nausea.

Ingredients: Ancient Lichen x1, Everberry x3

Process:
1. Crush everberries into a juice. Leave pulp in mixture.
2. Sprinkle ancient lichen into the juice while stirring rapidly.
3. Cool in cold storage overnight.
4. Store in a cool environment.

30 June

Spent yesterday working on the anti-magic potions. Managed to purchase some arcane dust off a queer lad in the Mage Quarter. I asked him which type (because there's apaprently various types of magical dust) he thought would be most potent. I think he misunderstood my request because he said "The vision dust gives you the best trips but the hypnotic dust makes you really mellow."

I proceeded to explain to him the purpose for my use of it and he stammered an apology of sorts (mostly asking if I was Stormwind Guard) and suggested arcane dust for the use... Wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't recommended to me a "reputable" felweed vendor he knew in the city... Dust-heads.

After that business was over, I attempted three separate mixtures for the anti-magic potion. I left them to settle overnight and I expect to do some testing of them today and tomorrow. I brewed two samples of each mixture and intend to test both the imbibed and thrown affects of the potions.

Still haven't found Kal around to ask him about Gundrak. Hopefully I see him at the meeting tonight. My plans for having the mission executed next week are msot likely down the drain. Something Mal did has caused him to be sentenced to a week in Silithus on his own with only a waterskin... and Urika to "watch" him. Well fel, part of me is upset with Mae for assigning this to the pair. I want to get this assault on Gundrak done quick so we can report any possibilities of Drakkari threat. I told Urika I would wait until they were back. They're good dwarves and I need them both for this. It also doesn't help that Urika will be gone since she's signed on to help with the Plaguewoods Expedition we have planned for next Thursday. I can understand sending Mal off for a bit to refocus and think about things but sending Urika along to babysit is really a thorn in my side. Going from six to five may not seem like much on paper but when you lose someone with that much field experience on a mission this dangerous it puts that much pressure on the rest of the team.

I might need to talk to Mae about this. I know she's an Advisor and knows what she's doing but maybe I can convince her to shorten the trip some...

Going to go test the first sample. Hopefully I don't blow my nose off!

Last edited by Brommidor Stonebrow on Jun. 30th, 2011 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Quote:
Sleeping Gas Potion

Defensive Potion

Description: When thrown, this potion releases a powerful sleep-inducing vapor into the air which causes anything within the area to fall asleep within seconds.

Ingredients: Dreamfoilx5, Nightmare Vine x2, Fadeleaf x3

Process:
1. Grind dreamfoil into a course powder. At to cauldron and stir clockwise five turns.
2. Add nightmare vines, one at a time, stirring for a minute between vines.
3. Sprinkle fadeleaf into mixture during the cooling period after the cauldron's ehat source has been removed. Stir slowly for five minutes.

30 June, early evening

Well. That could have gone better.

First two recipes were tested at length today. I wandered over to the nearest troll encampment for testing.

I began with the thrown vial tests. The first recipe did not have enough of the whisker in it to make an effective enough magical surge. The enemies' magical power was indeed weakened but they were still able to weave spells. (Though their frost bolts were no more harmful than flying popsicles). The second recipe however, turned out to be much more dangerous. I did not have a large enough dose of dreamfoil, which acts as the ingredient that blocks magical spells and abilities from being cast in the area. Basically, the troll was affected by the potion, but because there wasn't enough in it to effectively block out his spellweaving, the potion backfired and became more of a battery of arcane energy which increased his magical ability greatly. Luckily enough I had the sense to wear down my opponents before testing the potions so I was able to silence him for good in short work.

The imbibed testing was even more harrowing. To acquire a proper subject to test on, I had to capture and incapacitate a troll instead of just throwing something at him and watching what happened. Managed to get one after some time (and struggle) and knocked him out to pour the potion down his throat. This first recipe reacted the same as it did in the thrown tests. While his magical energy was weakened significantly, it was not negated completely. I knocked the poor troll out once more and waited for the first potion to wear off before administering the second recipe. I was much more weary with this second one after seeing it's thrown effect. However, the subject reacted much differently. Instead of absorbing the energy and utilizing it, the troll developed a series of small glowing blue marks all across his body. His casting weakened, much like te first recipe, but the blue marks began to concern me so I ended my testing with a swift cut of my sword.

Not sure what to think about this run-through. I made notes to modify the two recipes as needed should I need to do a second round of testing. I am hopeful that the third recipe will have better results but I am too worn out to test more today.

Academe meeting in a few hours.

1 July

Had our Academe meeting last night. Did a little brainstorming for exercise routines to get our division in fighting order.

Hildan said he was planning a pilgrimmage and sermon at the statue of Anduin Lothar in the Burning Steppes. I could not have been more pleased to hear this. It's always been a dream of mine to look upon that statue that bears the name and face of the one we revere. The one I revere.

I explained a little about the Plaguewoods Mission next week. Prikka and I decided on a day and we have a pretty capable team. When I mentioned it at the meeting Jane even volunteered herself to join so that makes seven of us now. Hopefully, if Urika is back.

Afterwards I went to the mess to ask Kalathor about joining my little Gundrak team. He accepted and mentioned that Maldros had said something to him already. I'm still unsure of what to expect from the man but he seems a capable and confident warlock. Said his demons would be kept in line which is what I wanted to hear from him.

Mal dropped in and seemed unusually cheerful. Said he wanted to speak to me alone so after I'd finished my supper I found him up in the bunks. He told me about his assignment to Silithus and I asked him why he was being punished. He told me that he'd made an offhand joking comment about harming Earnan and that others had taken it much more seriously. Now, its understandable that this might happen. I told him that even joking about such things (especially in Earnan's case) was not something one in our unit should be doing. In any other situation the person would be assigned to watch duty every graveyward shift for the next two weeks, or be made to clean the keep or peel potatoes. Mal however has had a pretty bad history with infractions so this may be Mae's final response to the matter. While I respect her as a friend and officer, I'm not sure if the punishment requires an entire week in the sand. If I was the one making the call, I wouldn't have even given him a timeframe. Just told him to return when he felt he was ready. Thats always proved to be a better solution in my experience. Then you can tell whether they actually learned their lesson or not. Now, he's more than likely to stomp off to the bloody place, mope and grope for a week and come back in the same manner as he left. I pray to the Light that doesn't happen but there's a strong chance. Then again, that's probably why Urika was sent along with him. Make sure he does his duty and gets the full effect of the punishment.

I can't help continuing to think that this little trip to Silithus couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time for me. Not only will it postpone my advancement task (which, in its own right is a pretty important mission intelligence-wise), but it also puts me a dwarf short for the Plaguewoods Mission. In a land as cruel and unforgiving as the Plaguelands, you want ever experienced lad and lass you can find. And when six of them volunteer for such a dangerous mission, you know that they're in it with a purpose just like you.

If I'm not able to get the pair of them back sooner than I want, maybe I can convince Mae to allow Urika back for the Plaguewoods Expedition. She's pledged her commitment to my efforts before and I know she would never want to go back on that.

Which brings me to Ironforge. I came here and retrieved some more potions from my stores to send to Urika with a letter explaining my intent to talk with Mae about her return. Hopefully it arrives in a timely manner. And hopefully the potions I send will be of use.

Testing the third recipe today. Light, I pray it goes better than yesterday.

<Another Potion of the day recipe. This journal's owner must really enjoy his potions.>

Quote:
Sunscreen

Curing Potion

Description: A unique salve that is meant to be applied to exposed skin when out in the hot sunlight. This salve works to prevent the user from suffering the dreaded sunburn caused by prolonged sun exposure.

Ingredients: Juniper Frond x3, Mageroyalx3

Process:
1. Set cauldron to boil water.
2. Add one (1) juniper frond to the water every 5 minutes, allowing time for each frond to soak before another is added.
3. Crush three (3) mageroyal herbs into a paste. Place in a bowl.
4. Pour the juniper-enriched water into the bowl 10 mintues after the last frond has been added.
5. Mix the paste and water together, stirring throughly.
6. Strain any excess water and bottle the remaining salve mixture for use.

1 July, later

SUCCESS! The last recipe worked near flawlessly! I just need to add another dreamfoil to solidly prevent magic and a couple more gromsblood to make the mixture kick in just a little bit quicker.

The look on that troll's face was priceless. He just stared at me after he unsuccessfuly tried to mutter a cantrip or hex. Then he turned tail and bolted. Probably thinks I'm some terrible voodoo spirit now or something. Hoho! Got to write up a report for Jo!

2 July

Stairs suck.

Top bunks suck.

Lung vomit sucks.

Meriwether's a worgen.

Saturdays are now my least favorite day of the week.

3 July

Light was yesterday exhausting.

I occupied myself in the alchemy lab and in the fields of the Hinterlands. I brewed potions because I had not much better to do. I sent my report to Jo friday. Now all I can do is wait. Wait until Thursday for when we deploy to the Plaguewoods to root out this queer emanation business. Wait until Mal and Urika return so that I can lead a team into Gundrak. Wait until I can speak with Anthal so's to get my final puzzle-piece for the mission.

Waiting. Patience. Time. Taking a page out of the Kal'dorei's book.

After a long day in the lab I return to the keep and who should I find? Urika Stormpike. As far from Silithus and Maldros as I was. She said she was back for the Enclave and Guild Meetings. Makes sense, never udnerstood why she was off with him i nthe first place. She asked me how much I knew of Mal and I told her. Told her what he told me the night before he left. She seemed concerned. Almost too concerned. Why should she feel so responsible for his fate? The lad's got to work it out on his own, Light willing. Perhaps the matter wil lexplain itself in time.

She told me that Mae had given her leave to return for the Plaguewoods mission. Great news! Now if I could only get Mal's stubborn arse back, things would be peachy.

As we were talking, Jasper's voice (of all people's) rang over the comm. He said Meri was hurt and needed help. Those at the keep hurried and arranged things for him. I went off with Eoral to pick up the lad.

Nasty business. Had a dig-spike that'd gone straight through his chest. Punctured lung and everything. Blood everywhere. We managed to get him back safely and started to bring him up to the infirmary. After Xantchi (oh yeah, she stopped by, been forever since I'd seen her!) had sawn the spike in half and removed it, Meri did the most unexpected thing.

He transformed into a Worgen.

Well, that was certainly a surprise to me. We didn't have time to gawk though so we just slipped into "PANIC MODE" and kept on with the triage. Jasper and I held down Meri's arms and legs while Prikka and Xantchi mended him. Urika cauterized the wounds after Prikka healed. At one point Meri spewed some Light-awful... liquid form his mouth which got all over me. I was far too tired after that and apparently I stayed up a bit longer and chatted. I don't remember hardly any of it. I think Prikka called me fat though.

The shirt could not be recovered. I will miss it so.

4 July

Guildmeet yesterday.

Nothing real spectacular was reported, until the Commander spoke. There's something big going on within and without of the floating ziggurat of Naxxramas. The whole unit's been pulled in to work on it.

Last night after the guildmeet I checked the stores of herbs and potions. It was a sad few. I scurried off to Ironforge and pulled near every last poison diffuser, laceration mender, and other triage potions I could find and crated them up for shipment to the Aerie.

It's still far too few. I'll be out all week harvesting and mixing.

Plans for the Plaguewoods and Gundrak might be shot through the arse at this point. May not be any time to get to the bottom of an icnreasingly looming threat in the Plaguelands or possibly thwarting an unknown Darakkari assault.

This business about murdering folk in the Dragonblight is unsettling though. Hopefully it won't be too much to handle, but with the Commander ordering everyone to man the battlestations, it may be worse than any of us may expect.

Light grant us strength.

<Yet another slip of parchment has been inserted. This dude's totally obsessed>

Quote:
Concealment Potion

Defensive Potion

Description: Allows user to blend in to the environment for a short period of time.

Ingredients:Fadeleaf x6, Ghost Mushroom x4, Moonpetal Lily x3

Process:
1. Chop six (6) Fadeleaf plants into small pieces.
2. Separate the caps from the stalks on four (4) ghost mushrooms.
3. Sprinkle fadeleaf bits onto the underside of the ghost mushroom caps. Place in a pan over a cooking fire until the fadeleaf bits have burned into the caps.
4. Place three (3) moonpetal lilies into the cauldron mixture.
5. After letting the ghost mushroom caps cool, place them in the cauldron for mixing.
6. Stir until the mixture takes on a dark green hue.
7. Bottle and store.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 28days ago3 Replies
 38days ago0 Replies
 46days ago0 Replies
 61days ago0 Replies
 986days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre