Dear Diary

Bromm's Journal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
June 2

Had quite the adventure last night.

A very strange event occurred when I was in Tanaris re-stocking my supply of sandblossoms I stumbled upon a small pile of debris not far from the outskirts of Gadgetzan. There wasn't anything particularly unusual about the pile: a few broken barrels and some old, torn bags. But off to one side of the pile, there was a curious blue and dark gray metallic object, and before I had any chance to look at it clsoer, it spoke to me! Bless me boots, I was so scared. It ended up being a gnome death knight by the name of Hermogenes Bonecaller who had apparently been buried in the sand during the tidal wave caused by Deathwing's resurgence. He wasn't too difficult to dig out, luckily. After exchanging greetings we headed back to Gadgetzan to avoid an oncoming sandstorm. He told me that he used to craft wonderful magical gizmos and he was in Tanaris at the time looking to retrain in the art of engineering. I felt quite sad for the lad, the former Lich King's murder and enslavement of this gnome had cost him much of his memory and knowledge. I can only hope that a talent such as he described can be regained. Too much was taken from our people by that devil, it would be nice to see something returned.

He questioned me about the Servitors, having seen my tabard. We spoke briefly about it and its purpose and he seemed quite enthusiastic (with a contradictory frown) to write to our officers about joining. I must say, of all the death knights I have ever met, he is the most upbeat. You might not even guess he was undead.

After we parted ways and I had returned to Ironforge, Kandrinell relayed a message over the GCD, asking for any aide in the realm of Wintergrasp in defending the keep from Horde forces. It was my first time in the strange, frozen battlefield, but I had hoped my previous encounters with Horde troops would serve me well in combat. Kandrinell seemed to have much experience there already so I followed his example. We were able to beat back many of the foot soldiers together and Kandrinell told me that the surest way to force their retreat was by sieging their towers. We managed to occupy and drive two demolishers (funny catapult-type vehicles with large broom-action rams) to severely damage the towers and cause the Horde retreat. Kandrinell seemed only too happy to be there. He seemed to be in his element, ferociously fighting soldiers left and right. He keeps a cool head even in the thickest of fights. I am glad he is with us and not the opposite.

I returned to Ironforge for the night by means of a war-mage portal. Tonight is the excursion into the Fel-orc prison of the Blood Furnace under Cass's lead. Light protect us in our endeavor.

June 6

So much has happened these past few days that I haven't had an opportunity to record it. I'll start with yesterday.

Edwena had gotten a handwritten letter from the missing Waterbrother. A rescue team was organized by Mae the night before. We were assembled a few hours after the guildmeet, waiting for the scouts to report on his location. Just a handufl went: Mae, Davvi, Prikka, Hildan, Kiee, Olleron, Edwena, and myself. Found him off the coast of Dun Morogh (I had no idea there was an actual coast!). It was a relatively simple affair, had him stabilized and evacuated to the keep for treatment. Seemed fine to me. Lucky part about the whole thing was the lack of hostiles. No pursuit, no encounter whatsoever. Not many times you see a prisoner escape scott-free.

Urika and I were having a drink together in the keep afterwards. Discussed a little more about my plans for The Cure. She had the normal reaction to my plan, and I don't blame her. It's not my deepest desire to trudge through an ifnernal swamp or to march right in to Silvermoon, but the fact of the matter is that if I don't do these things, who will? Is there anyone else as serious about this escapade as I? If so, I would gladly like to meet them, but for now it seems I am alone. But perhaps not. Urika has volunteered to assist me if I feel I need an extra hand. Her apprehensions about my intentions are quite obvious but her stout determination for her own mission is to be admired. I'll have to see how this shapes up.

After our discussion we went to visit the recently rescued returned Waterbrother, but found him out of his bunk. He's a right good dwarf, not letting a few scrapes keep him down. Urika and I offered him some food, drink, and companionship in the mess. We were joined after some time by Rae and a new guy, Kalathor. Didn't have much time for introductions (I barely had time to express my surprise at Rae being a Worgen) before Prikka came in, hot as a poker, ordering Mal back to his bed. He wasn't compliant which only made Prikka angrier. Her raised voice seemed to have attracted the Commander (who was also quite furious). A few smart remarks were made by Mal and Rae, coupled with the increasing frustration of Prikka, which all lead to the Commander's utter loss of patience. She silenced the lot of us until the next guildmeet. We're to only communicate by hand signals within the unit. I may not be the best at hand signs, but I certainly feel sorry for the newer folks. Hand signing is not something one can learn in a day. At least they will have a firm understanding of it by the time this is over.

Today I spent mainly preparing for a possible rescue of another lost Novice. We got her distress call last night and Kandrinell and Kalicity scouted out her location. Seems likeit will be either a quick, stealthy maneuver, or an utter dogfight. We're to wait for the Commander's call for the move, so I was training a little with the Wildhammer Gryphonriders here a bit on aerial combat. They've loaned me a few stormhammers to use, in recognition of my previous service to them.

Light protect our lost and injured swordbrethren. May they return to their friends safely and swiftly.

11 June

Was finally able to go out on my own again after the lockdown on the unit was lifted. Thank the Light for that! My rear was getting sore from so much sitting.

Made my way down to the Swamp of Sorrows to begin my research. I had heard rumors of an Anchorite from the Exodar that was there trying to find a cure to the degenerative malady among the Broken there. A mission not far from my own. This first step could not have been any more helpful than I could have hoped for. The Anchorite drew upon the combined pwoers of his priest training and the medicinal properties of local herbs in the Swamp to brew a potion which he had hoped to cure. Many of the ingredients he asked for I took samples of for my own research as their properties seem very encouraging.

The Anchorite had told me that a close friend of his and the former leader of the Broken tribe there had passed away months ago after his first attempt at the cure. He's been working there ever since and made little headway but finding out new things each day, which is encouraging to me in my mission. We exchanged empathies for each other's causes and both vowed to aide each other in the future. Anchorite Avuun is a good man and I applaud his efforts there. A smelly swamp would not be my ideal research environment.

11 June, cont.

Headed out to Sorrow Hill with Jo and Prikka this evening. We were met by another gnome priestess lass in our unit named Jane as well as the Commander. Jane was a particularly spunky gnome and seemed well at ease with everyone. Spent a bit of time conversing and theorizing about the causation of concern in the area. We proceeded to the tomb proper where we all paid our respects. We could all sense something that was not quite right with the area. Truly, the land had changed much since my last visit and for the better, but there was something that lingered on the fringes of that place that struck me as *the word has been smudged out*.

Prikka was able to detect a faint vibration in the earth (through a very unorthodox manner, I may add). We tracked these vibrations to a nearby crypt. This crypt gave us all the heeby-jeebies. There were a slew of things that were all wrong about the place.

1. There was a carriage parked outside with no clear owner or reason for it to be parked there.
2. The palce was compeltely lit by torches and candles, and NONE were magically lit which means someone was taking the effort to light them all and keep them lit.
3. Various furniture was present at the bottom of the crypt that should not be present (including a table, leftover weapons crates, bookshelves, and a strange tome that lay open and indecipherable on the table)
4. It was the only structure in the cemetary that was not locked up.
5. IT WAS A CRYPT!

We decided to vacate the premises and return to study at another day as it was well past the midnight hour.

12 June

Went back to Sorrow Hill with Prikka and the new guy, Kalathor. I could not help but laugh at the fact that there were three of us and not one of us was allowed to speak. (The other two are under sign-only orders like myself until Sunday) Communication issues aside, we made our way to the crypt to begin our second round of sleuthing.

Kalathor's voidwalker came in handy in the basement as it was able to draw shadows out and reveal anything hidden in the room. (This process was quite foreign to me but Kal mentioned the voidwalker "eating" the shadows...) We found nothing of interest, other than there had been three additional candles in the crypt that were not there the night before, proving that the crypt was freqently visited.

We decided to step outside and let Prikka attempt to "track" the vibrations which she said she could feel increasing in strength to the northeast.

After about an hour of tracking and stop-and-go travel, we ended up at the Northpass Tower in the Eastern Plaguelands. We had followed a route that lead us due east at first and then turned north and back northwest.

We placed the theory that te vibrations were either avoiding or being warded off at the various consecrated sites in the Eastern Plaguelands (the towers, Light's Hope, etc.). The sensation seemed to increase the clsoer we approached the Plaguewood and Stratholme. (To the point where ven I was able to noticeanly feel the vibrations from the ground without effort). We halted our investigation again to await further direction from officers. I was not about to go waltzing into the Plaguewood, Terrordale, or Stratholme with two inexperienced spellweavers, let alone in a squad of less than ten or even five. They may not know the horrors and dangers that lurk there but I can still remember the screams and monsters of my days spent on patrol there...

I pray that our search for this disturbance goes along without injury and reveals what needs revealing. Light protect us.

16 June

Spent last night doing a bit of labwork on the samples I'd taken from the Swamp. (As a side note, the enw alchemical lab is very interesting, I'm so glad the Servitors decided to outfit our abse with one!) Didn't find out much from what I had already known, although I did find that the sample of invigorating soil seemed to grow in agitation the longer it was kept contained... What significance this holds remains to be seen.

After a while I headed back to the Keep and bumped into Edwena. She was looking for Prikka to see about some burn salves. I mentioned I could mix some and gave her my remaining personal supply to hold until more were mixed.

Went to the mess for a cup of tea and found, much to my surprise and elation, one Anthal Verric, casually shooting the breeze with Prikka. Light it was good to see him again. About time another experienced paladin was back at base. He seemed just as pleased to have returned as well. Thanks to my handsign situation I was unable to vocally express my delight at his return, but I greeted him just the same. Not long after, Edania came and Anthal went with her to the bar while I spoke with Andann. (Spoke being a relative term as he is still new to handsigning so I had to write my thoughts on my paperpad.)

He asked where he could report security holes in our base to. At first I was surprised because I'd never noticed any looming security threats at the Aerie, with as stout a defense the Wildhammers have. But I allowed him to show them to me and mentioned that the Commander would most likely want to know, as well as the head of the Wildhammer Guard stationed there.

Not much in the doings lately, other than that Sorrow Hill business which we might try to explore a bit more soon. Signed up to help with the Arathi defense mission as well, figured those poor souls have suffered enough without having their last hold be crushed by ogres and trolls.

Academe assembly tonight.

*A letter has been placed inside the journal*

Quote:
To: Soldier Stonebrow

Soldier Stonebrow,

Hope these are sufficient to replace the materials you used for the salves. Included other herbs of interest as I have no skill with them outside of their finding.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Novice E. Fowler

18 June

Been a busy past two days.

Spent all of yesterday out gathering herbs and mixing burn salves. Got another large bundle of liferoot from Edwena to help make even more. Apparently their in high demand somewhere so I just dropped them off in the storehouse and left a note with James.

Jo caught up with me soon after and gave me what seemed to be a molten plant. Said that she'd heard that it could be used for a powerful painkiller and asked me if I could try my hand. I'll give it a shot, if the plant doesn't burn my nerves off beforehand.

Spent a good while in the keep conversing with swordbrethren. Many came and went but I ended up speaking mostly with Goric and a young human swordbearer named Mirelle Ashton. Nice little lass that one. We chatted about our travels and such, she's been off in the plaguelands for a while and will be headed to the Badlands soon. Gave her a bit of advice I wish I'd had in my time there: 1. Pack plenty of water. 2. Wear lighter chainmail instead of plate. Damn sun in that place was the worst enemy you could find in it's desolate waste.

Guild meeting tomorrow (finally I'll be able to TALK again). Going to have to start forming a squad to take into the Plaguelands to try and find the source of that Sorrow Hill business. Got Prikka and Anthal on board already but I'll need a few more to feel comfortable. Gotta get either Kalathor or Jo to come along with their void-beasts to sniff out the source. But none of this can happen until that Arathi problem is managed so until then I'll be scouting and doing lab-work.

I grow tired. May tomorrow bring good things and plenty of talking.

19 June, evening

Light, so much to have happen in a day.

First off, guild meeting. There was a good number in attendance this week, which is encouraging seeing as we're now nearly fifty strong now. Good number of promotions and some various reports occurred. The big shocker came when Ser handed over the Advisor position of the Enclave to Mae, and subsequently became her Adjutant. There was no reason given for this and the only one I could think of was that Mae had shown exempliary work as a leader (which is completely true) and the Commander saw it fit to... replace... Ed. And that's where it doesn't make sense at all. Oh well, there's a good reason for it I'm sure, and Ed didn't seem all that distraught about it, which probably meant it was being planned for a while.

After the meeting (and when I got my voice back!) I headed to the bar to have a drink with Anthal. Finally got to welcome him back proper-like. We were joined by various othes who came and went and we all have good discussions and friendly banter. Eventually it was just me after Edwema left to check on a strange howl that we thought could have been Mavhren's. I left myself when I heard a second call, different than the first, but still alarming. There were a handful of us out front looking around until Prikka hailed Mavhren on the GCD and dismissed any search efforts. I'll write more tomorrow.

20 June, morning

Prikka had the idea to go swimming as a way to relieve ourselves of the summertime heat. Few of us went and swam at that elf lodge near the base. Talked a while about tattoos since Kal had a good display of them and I had a couple as well. Apparently his help with his magic weaving. I'd heard of markings such as those used by spellweavers before but I hadn't seen them in person. Unfortunately I couldn't get a very good look at them. As we were leaving, Prikka noticed something on Davvi's back and found out she had a full-fledged tattoo on her back that Davvi apparently knew nothing about. Well, being Davvi she wworked herself into a fit and we took her back to base to try and calm her. She eventually became complacent and tired after a small bit of alcohol mysteriously made its way into her milk. Hopefully she'll feel better today and not be hungover.

Spent a while after that with Olleron in the bar (conversation about tattoos still) and had various people come and go. One of which was another long-time gone servitor named Ebeneezer Wytestone who I had remembered briefly before I departed to Northrend. Seemed like a friendly fellow. Goric and I stayed late conversing. I elarned more about his past and how his family and the people of his area had been heart-breakingly refused to pass through the Greymane Wall during the Third War... He says he's tired but doesn't know why. I tried to offer comfort in words but it seemed he was truly down. He mentioned going south to a small colony of Gilneans in the Blasted Lands by the name of Surwich. Said that they were in need to druidic aid and that he might enjoy their company more than he would here. We ended the night with friendly departings and I was even given a bag of pumpkin seeds, which was an unexpected gift.

I pray that he may find some rest for his weariness and perhaps some inner peace with his trip to Surwich.

Going to be a large labwork day today. Beginning my work on the Fire Arum shot for Jo and doing some more burn salves for the stores.

21 June

Good day spent in Stormwind today. Had to go talk to some people and find some books for two new alchemy works I've got.

First is the fire arum shot for Jo. Hadn't heard of the plant until she showed it to me (which is odd because I thought that a plant this unique would have been brought up in one of my herb books before). Found a few alchemists in the Mage Quarter who'd said they had experience with the plant. Didn't know quite the recipe I was looking for but they gave me suggestions. I'll have to go and gather the ingredients for it tomorrow.

Sounds like it will be a tricky potion to brew, but that's just the kind I like! My second alchemical work will be for my Marshal Task. I'm to brew up two "Anti-Magic" Potions. Whatever ever the fel those are.

I asked some of my contacts in Stormwind about it and none of them had heard of something like it before. Heard a lot about Magic Resistance Potions (enough to melt my ears off in that Mage Quarter) but nothing mentioned about a pure Anti-Magic Potion. And the weird part is that Jo didn't specify what she meant by anti-magic. Does it drain a spellweavers powers? Does it create an anti-magic barrier like a death knight can? Does it negate spells or magical energies from acting on objects? I suppose thats for me to decide then... Though since there's a fairly broad background with magic resistance I think I'll try to go along the lines of a magic-negating potion. Of course potions can only go so far so it will be a very temporary potion. Further research is needed!

After all that walking around and book-reading, I wandered to the Cathedral Square around the eighth toll of the bell. Not many were there so I just sat by the fountain and reviewed some notes. There was a mage lass doing the same, didn't really talk to her because Kal showed up and did that job. After a bit I was visited by Urika, adorned in a rather odd outfit. She told me it was her Flamewarden get-up that she had to wear. We spent a good time talking about various things: my research, her family, my advancement tasks. And then my family got brought up. It's been a while since I spoke with anyone about my family. Not a day goes by that I don't think about Da, or Gurrik, or Drann. Light be with them. She offered her sympathies.

After that we discussed a bit about how different our lives were and the purposes we were serving. For me it seemed to be a step up. I'd come from a simple family in the snowy hills of Dun Morogh and now I'm a full-fledged Knight of the Silver Hand serving in a unit that battles across the two worlds. For her it was different, a daughter of a prestigious and well-respected Clan. A former warrior in the Alterac Campaign, now she was forced by injury to take a less vigorous role in research and study. Strange how different all of our pasts are and how we all accept our new lives, but how encouraging it is that we can all commit to this service together.

Herb-gathering tomorrow. Early morning and long boat trips. Light be with us all.

23 June

Light, yesterday was tiring!

I spent most of the morning and afternoon out tracking down herbs for the fire arum brew. I returned to the Aerie shortly before supper. Had aquick bite and headed up to the lab to begin the work.

It's a strange process but I think it will work: I have to first concoct a mixture to counter the strength of the fire arum. This is particularly difficult as the goal is to minimize the damage that it causes naturally, while maintaining the potency of it's pain-numbing effect. To do this I crafted a mix that will first reduce the initial shock of the fire arum and then allow it to diffuse into the tissue of the patient to spread the numbing effect across the desired area. Difficult, but achieveable! I used plenty of icecaps and wintersbite to counter the intensity of the burning of the fire arum. Some ghost mushroom to give the brew a diffusing property, allowing the mixture to spread into the tissue without damaging it. Some swiftthistle to speed up the diffusion process so that the numbing effect can spread quick enough so isn't in just one spot. And a dash of lfieroot to heal any part of the tissue that may be injured from the shot.

After I mixed that I had to let it stew overnight. Today I'll add the fire arum to the mixture and carefully mix it. Hopefully it will turn out as expected.

By the time I was finished with the mixture last night it was nearly the ninth bell. I went back to the keep to rest but found Jo sitting up near the bunks. I sat and we chatted for a while. Apparently she has some connection with the tides and they give her a bit of wanderlust around the time of the full moon. Other than that though she seemed troubled, said it was all the paperwork and other business but didn't say much more. I hope she feels better soon, maybe all she needs is a good few days of sailing? I was too blasted tired to be of much help last night and I regret it.

Thought a good bit yesterday while I was off on my herb-retrieval. The second half of my advancement involves me elading an assault on an enemy holdout of my choosing. Fel, I would never choose to run headlong into an enemies den with jsut a few others, but if that's what must be done, then I'll try my best. Thought about what places really need a good kick from the Servitors. After the recent uniting of the troll nations there was a massive response against the Amani and Gurubashi tribes, but I noticed that the Drakkari were left out of that business. That can't be let alone. I figure that the reason for it is because they got such a whooping from the Scourge, Alliance, and Horde that they were deemed to be a small threat. Codswallop. Trolls are trolls. They never stop being fierce and they never stop fighting. (Must be why they can regrow their ruddy arms). I think the best plan to do, with limited resources, is to make an assault on their main stronghold in Gundrak. If they truly are still in a state of disarray, it should be easy and a good smack on the chin to their morale. If they're more organized then we might be able to disrupt their forces by attacking their leaders. Either way, best not to leave our fierce enemies to their own devices without checking in once in a while. Just going to have to figure out what other crazy folks are willing to join me.

About time to make the mixture. Light I hope it works!

24 June

Finished brewing the flare arum shot for Jo yesterday and it turned out well. Of course we won't be able to tell until it's actually taken but from the creator's end all is well.

Worked a bit more on the anti-magic potion today. Still haven't found anything that's comparable other than the resistance potions so I'm taking notes on those mostly.

Had our Academe meeting last night. Anthal reported that the Stromgarde mission went smoothly and Jo has assigned the team for further aide. I mentioned I'd be ramping up efforts to begin the Plaguewoods Expedition within the next few weeks. Met someone new during the meeting. A paladin lass named Ariendis. She seemed quite cordial but stayed very silent the entire time.

Tomorrow I'm headed back home fer our annual Midsummer Celebration Meal. We've had it the first saturday of every Midsummer since I can remember. The past few years have been strange without Da, Gurrik, and Drann, but after the Shattering, Uncle Ordan and Aunt Halna came to live with Ma at the house after theirs was destroyed. Liira and Rowan are living there too now. It's been so long since I've seen them it will be a nice reunion.

Light bless this Midsummer and all that it encompasses.

26 June

Yesterday was very relaxing and very strange.

The Midsummer Meal back home was fantastic. Ma cooked her famous pork-belly pies, cheese mashed potatoes, and roasted quail while Uncle Ordan made some of the best brew-basted boar ribs that I've ever tasted. I brought a few gallons of tea and lemonade while Rowan brought some of his homebrew which was perfect for the summer months. Had a good time catching up with the lot. That's one thing I miss from being away from home, spending quality time with the kin. Liira told me that she wanted to start training to be a shaman, said she envied my work with the Servitors and my travels across the world. I gave her some encouraging words but left out the dark truths about my journies. She seems just as young and eager as I was to go out and journey on her own. I'll not be the one to take that from her, though I'll make sure she knows I'll support her and help her if she needs.

After the meal I went back to the Aerie for the night. Found a few folks gathered about the fire downstairs and sat and conversed for a good time. Managed to get Mavhren to build the respirators I am wanting for the Plaguewoods mission. Prikka, Edania, and Urika had a pretty heated conversation about some children's school in Ironforge. Never heard of the place myself but that their matter so I'll leave them to it. Somehow Urika brought up Thunderball during our discussion and we had a good talk about that. It's been so long since I've seen a game, I'll have to make sure to do that before the season ends. I'm sure Urika would want to join me, she sounded like a big Anvils fan (no surprise, most thunderball fans are). Maybe some of the other dwarves would be interested, though I'm not sure if Thunderball is as big a sport for Wildhammers as it is for us Bronzebeards.

After a bit most people went off to bed and the like. Edania and I remained and she asked me some questions about the Light and being a paladin. I hope she learned something of it, she seems like the inquisitive type that's eager for knowledge. Not soon into our conversation we heard a call for help over the GCD from Mal. Sounded like he was in dire straights so Edania and I went to go find him and met up with Prikka along the way. We found him toe-to-toe with a wild-faced dwarf looking like he was ready to rip Mal's face clear off. We managed to split the two up and calmed down the strange dwarf enough to convince him to head back to the Aerie. We didn't want a crazed dwarf out terrorizing the King's roads.

Got him back, got him drunk, got him sedated, and got him tied down in the infirmary. To our chagrin he had managed to escape during the night and where he went, no one can say. Some mysterious are best left unsolved I suppose.

Last edited by Brommidor Stonebrow on Jun. 27th, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

27 June

Long day yesterday.

I took Eoral into the Plaguelands to do a bit of scouting over the Plaguewoods. I think he was eager to spread his wings and get some exercise.

We started at the Northpass Tower and questioned the sentries there. They mentioned noticing the vibrations as well for some time but hadn't paid much head to it. As far as they could tell it wasn't anything immediately threatening unlike the swarms of Scourge that infest the region.

Eoral and I did some low-level passovers through the region. I mapped out several areas of interest such as slaughterhouses, ziggurats, and plague cauldrons. We ended our trip at the Plaguewood Tower. The vibrations were still very strong there.

Flew back late with Eoral to the Aerie and wrote down some notes before heading to bed. Hoping to do a bit more work on the anti-magic potions today. We'll see what comes of it.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 49days ago3 Replies
 59days ago0 Replies
 67days ago0 Replies
 82days ago0 Replies
 1007days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos