OOC

The Bread Thread! ((Recipes, Open))

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Because you people are crazy and have actually asked for it, I'm starting a recipe thread. Please feel free to add your own recipes to it.

A disclaimer to start off with: I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a GOOD cook. What I am is an ENTHUSIASTIC cook. I like cooking, but that does not mean every meal is a triumph (Hell, some of them aren't even successes, at least tastewise.) I treat recipes like guidelines - a stable base from which to wildly experiment; that is, every item I make tends to be different every time I make it. Thus, I can make no guarantees about the awesomeness of my recipes, other than the fact that I like them and they are, in general, edible.

Not-So-Basic Bread

You will need:

intermittent access to a kitchen for 5 hours
a kitchen-timer
clean hands
a wooden spoon
a clean sink and countertop (for kneading)
a big bowl
a bread pan, a dutch oven, or a deep cast-iron skillet
a place to let your dough rise that is warm and quiet
some ingredients (below)

INGREDIENTS
4 cups flour*
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup oats
4 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
3 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1+3/4 cups WARM tapwater (neither hot nor cold; test it on your wrist)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey (maple syrup or molasses also works)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, raisins, or chocolate chips (optional)

(A general suggestion on baking: I find it preferable to pull out all my ingredients first, then put them away as I measure/add them. This saves me from unpleasant surprises and keeps things tidy. All dry ungredients should be leveled with a butterknife, EXCEPT the gluten, which should be heaping. Gluten can be omitted, but it won't rise as well.)

INSTRUCTIONS
    First, WASH YOUR HANDS.
    Measure all your dry ingredients(flour, salt, gluten, yeast, oats, cornmeal) into the big bowl and give them a brief stir. make a well in the center of your dry stuff.

Scatter a little flour or cornmeal onto your counter.
    In a separate smaller bowl, mix your water, oil, and honey together and stir until the honey's dissolved.

Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix with the spoon until it's dough.

Wash your hands again.

Smear some butter or oil on your hands and stick them into the bowl. Knead with your hands until all the flour's been absorbed and you have a big ball of dough inside the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto the floured counter. set your timer for fifteen minutes.

Knead your dough for fifteen minutes, by squishing it with your palms, rolling and folding and generally beating it up. The texture will change considerably while you do this. You'll prob'ly need to re-butter your hands occasionally. When the dough feels kind of like a big rubbery ball instead of a mound of paste, pat it into a round shape and grab your big bowl again.

Wash your big bowl and dry it. Oil the inside of it generously.

Set your dough ball gently inside the big bowl. Cover it with a cloth and set it in a warm, quiet place to rise.

Your bread needs to rise for 2 hours. Set your timer OR write yourself a note (I do both) and put it by your computer.

***Intermission****
(Play WoW for 2 hours. or whatever.)

wash your hands again.

uncover your dough. It should look about twice the size (or so) that it was. Scatter another handful of flour or cornmeal on your counter and turn the dough onto it. It will deflate in a comical fashion.

Knead your dough a second time, for maybe three minutes, tops. This is called 'punching down your dough'. Pat it into a round shape again and leave it while you prep your bread pan**.

Use a butter wrapper and some butter or oil to butter the inside of your bread pan. Put the dough into the bread pan and cover it up with the cloth again.

Let your bread rise a second time. Set your timer for an hour.

***'Nother Intermission*****
NOTE: This is the second rise, and without it your bread will be a very tasty brick. Do not omit this step. Srsly.
    When your timer rings, get your bread. Remove the cloth.

Set your oven to 350. Don't preheat - bread needs to start in a cold oven.
    Put the bread in to bake. Set your timer for 40 minutes***.

When your timer rings, look in on your bread. The top should be brown. You can poke it with a wire or a bamboo skewer to see if the inside is done. if it comes out gooey, give it another ten minutes and then check it again. Baking times WILL vary according to the humidity, the altitude, what flours you used, etc. Every loaf is different. You get a feel for it eventually.

When you're satisfied that it's done, take the bread out of the oven and set it to cool. You can turn it out onto a clean bread-board or a rack if you like. If you don't turn it out of the pan, it'll sweat a little as it cools, but this hardly ruins it.

Don't slice your bread until it's cool enough to touch. You can keep it in a plastic bag just like store-boughten bread, or in a fancy bread-box.

Last step: Eat some bread. Nyommmm. Worth all the trouble, isn't it?

FOOTNOTES

(*Flour: at least 2 cups MUST be white or whole wheat flour; if you want to experiment with other flours like graham, rye, buckwheat, corn, quinoa, favabean, almond, etc., you can do it within the other 2 cups, but 2 of them have to be wheat. That said, nobody ever died from using the 'wrong' type of flour. This is a really resilient, infinitely-adaptable recipe. If what you have is labeled self-rising, bleached/unbleached, cake, pastry, or whatever, use what you got and don't sweat it. It'll be fine.)

(** Bread Pan: This can literally be almost anything, so long as it's clean, high-walled and ovenproof. Casseroles, loaf pans, coffee cans, cake pans, whatev. Just make sure it's at least big enough that you could fit a standard loaf of bread in it. I bake mine in a tall cast-iron skillet. works great.)

(***You can also set your oven for 60 minutes at 325, if it makes you happier.)

"...Elune preserve me, he is a sword brother. I cannot keep hating him. I cannot do anything else."
This is NOT my recipe, but I love it because it's very easy. It was originally put up on the Sentinels Realm Forums recipe thread, found here: Sentinels Recipe Exchange

Maelthas' Banana Bread

(The breakfast of Knight-Champions)

3 med. ripe bananas
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbs. milk
1/2 c. walnuts (optional)

(Preheat your oven to 350 degrees)
Mash bananas. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into greased bread pan. As an option, sprinkle sugar on top of the dough after it's been placed in the pan, before baking: this results in a lightly-sweetened, cripsy crust that I highly recommend. Bake about 45 mins to 1 hour.

((Ed adds: chocolate chips also go really well in this, if you don't like walnuts. You can also adapt this into a more generic bread with 1+1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce instead of bananas. In general, 'quick' breads don't last as long as 'yeast' breads, but that's okay because nobody can resist eating them all on the first day anyway. >_>))

"...Elune preserve me, he is a sword brother. I cannot keep hating him. I cannot do anything else."
My mom taught me this recipe, who was taught by her mom. It is quite easy for anyone to learn. The only thing you have to watch out for is not to burn yourself and watch the time.

Momma's Fried Chicken

Ingredients

Flour - About 4 tablespoons
    Chicken - About 8-12 thighs*
    Veggie Oil - Depends on pan
    Desired Seasoning**

Equipment

Large Ziplock Baggie
    Deep skillet/electric skillet
    Tongs

Instructions

Wash Hands
    Trim chicken as desired
    Wash hands
    Put enough oil in desired skillet where it covers the bottom of the skillet***
    Heat on medium high
    Put flour in ziplock
    Put chicken in ziplock two pieces at a time
    Shake, making sure chicken is completely coated
    Coat all chicken
    Place chicken in skillet, skin side down
    Wait 7 minutes****
    Wash hands while waiting
    Turn, seasoning skin side
    Wait 7 minutes
    Turn, seasoning other side
    Turn heat down to medium-low/medium
    Wait 5 minutes
    Turn
    Continue to turn every 5 minutes until done
    Take out of skillet, rest on paper towels
    Wash hands
    Serve with desired side dishes*****

FOOT NOTES

*Or equivalent of your favorite chicken parts
    **I use garlic salt, season salt, pepper and garlic powder (More garlic, the better)
    ***Make sure there is enough oil to cover one third to half of the chicken
    ****Timing is important. Make sure it is exact.
    *****I normally make mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, and spinach.
I make this with the fried chicken. Save some of the crackling from making the fried chicken. Makes the gravy taste ten times better. Taught to me by my mom, who got it from her dad.

Momma's Country Gravy

Ingredients*

Flour - 3 table spoons
    Butter - half to full stick**
    Milk - As needed
    Cream - 1-2 pints***
    Seasonings****
    Crackling - 1-3 teaspoons*****

Equipment

Large Sauce Pan
    Large Spoon - wood or other

Instructions

Heat pan over medium-high heat
    Melt Butter
    Add flour and crackling
    Mix with spoon until almost a solid paste
    Add cream, stirring while doing so
    Add Seasoning, stirring while doing so
    Turn heat down to medium-low
    Continue to stir until thickened, adding milk only if too thick.
    Heat to soft boil, stirring
    Take off heat
    Serve

Foot Notes

*Many of these measurements are best guesses, since I do not really measure. I eyeball.
    **Or equivalent of margarine
    ***Or as much as needed, depending on how many people you are cooking for
    ****Same seasonings as chicken: garlic salt, season salt, pepper and garlic powder
    *****Depends on how much you want in your gravy. Adding just a little will still give a good flavor, but more tastes even better.
Apple Pie Bread

This is an adaptation of Maelthas' amazing 'nana bread recipe. It's so amazingly good. Words can't describe how good this is. My friend who runs a coffee shop asked me for the recipe so she could sell it at work. Srsly.

Set your oven to 350 degrees. Core and chop into small pieces:
1 apple

Set it aside. Put in a big bowl:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

stir it all up and make a well in the middle.
in a separate bowl, mix together:

1 c. sugar
1 cup applesauce
1 apple, cored and diced.
1 egg
1/4 c. oil
1 tsp. vanilla (or almond, if you're into that)extract
3 Tbs. yogurt or sour cream

After this is all blended nicely, add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to get all the gooey bits. Mix it quickly, the faster the better - don't worry too much about lumps. Pour your batter into a buttered loaf pan and sprinkle the top with a scant tsp. of granulated sugar. This makes the top crunchy.

Bake for 55 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. (This always takes longer than you think it will, I think because of the apples)

Let cool. Eat half yourself and amaze your friends with the other half. Warning: May cause spontanous worship and offers of matrimony.

I am so trying this recipe, when I have my oven access back. One of my friends HATES banana bread, but whines pitifully when all my other friends rave about the banana bread I make 'cus she's all lone in banana-hatin' land. This apple version version should do the trick for sating her with baked goods. Happy

Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread to determine which side it is buttered on.

-Ambrose Bierce
Okay, folks, HERE WE GO: The Dip That Looks Like Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough but Isn't

-1 stick/block/unit cream cheese
-1stick butter
-1 cup brown sugar (Or a little less if you want it less sweet)
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 cup mini chocolate chips
Also:
-A decent sized vessel in which to mix
-Something to dip with (discussed later)

Let the cream cheese and butter soften (just leave them out for an hour or two, or something; you just want them to be very malleable).

Put them in the bowl, measure out your vanilla and brown sugar, and dump them in there too. Mix it, with your favored utensil or your hands, until homogenous (All blended together perfectly), then add the chocolate chips, and mix it all together until it's homogenous once more.

There you go. I like Honey Graham stick the best for dipping, but my mom and sister hate the honey taste, so they used cinnamon, where I hate cinnamon, so it all fall to personal preference. Animal crackers can also serve.

Enjoy, and don't fall into a coma.
My great-grandmother and grandmother's recipe that my mom has perfected over the years has a very simple but correct name. This dessert is done in layers and you will need room in your fridge or freezer.

Yum Yum

Layer 1*- 1 box Graham Cracker crumbs made to instructions on box. Add 1 tsp of cinnamon for added taste. Press into a 13x9x2 inch casserole dish. Chill 10 minutes in fridge or freezer.

Layer 2- 1 8 oz. box of softened cream cheese, 1.5 cups cool whip, 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix all ingredients and pour over crust. Chill 20 minutes.

Layer 3- 2 small packages of devil's food pudding mix, 3 cups milk. Mix pudding and milk until thick. Pour over 2nd layer and chill 20 minutes.

Layer 4- Top off with cool whip, adding a thick layer. Chill 20 minutes at least before serving.

*- If you want to add fruit (strawberries and pineapple are both good), place it on the CHILLED crust before adding layer 2.
By request for Ed!

Lynne's White Chicken Chili

5 c. water
2 tsp. Lemon pepper
2 tsp. Cumin
5-6 chicken breasts (diced)
2 cloves garlic (diced)
2 c. onions (diced)
1 – 7 oz. Can green chillies (diced)
6 Tbs. Lime juice
56 oz. Of canned Great Northern Beans (with juice!)
Monterey Jack Chees

Boil chopped chicken in water with seasonings. Saute onions and garlic, add to pot. Add rest of ingredients except beans. Bring to a boil. Add beans, simmer 45 minutes.
Serve topped with lots of Monterey Jack!

Note: For a spicier chili try chopping up one jalapeno and adding it to the pot!

Photobucket
And something I've been making a lot lately!

As a side note...I recently typed up about 27 pages of recipes. Most of them easy ones. For various friends that have requested them over the past few years. I think there are far too many to post here. But if anyone wants the file you can PM me your email or something.

Telly's Spicy Fried Rice

- 2 or 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or precooked/raw meat of your choosing) (I've been using turkey ham of late as it's cheap and nommy!)
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 2 Tbs ginger (I use dried, you can use fresh if you like)
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- ¼ to 1/3 cup Soy Sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 1 Tbs diced garlic
- 1 Tbs Asian Chili Garlic Sauce (Optional, makes very spicy)
- 4 Tbs Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbs Vinegar (can use white or apple cider, apple cider has more zing)
- One bunch of chopped green onions or scallions (optional)
- Several Tbs. Sesame Oil
- 1 large bag frozen peas
- Cook / Prepare 3 cups of rice (about 1 full rice cooker worth, as it will yield more when done)

* Pam a skillet to scramble your eggs in separately and set them aside.
* Cook your meat if you are using raw meat. I tend to put a bit of sesame oil in the pan to cook it.
* Drizzle a tablespoon or so of sesame oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion and ginger for 30 seconds.
* Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
* If you are using cooked meat you would add it now and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds. If using raw meat it was already in there before the onion and ginger and you should cook it for 10-20 minutes depending on the size and type of meat until it's thoroughly cooked and onions are also soft.
*Stir in frozen peas and fry until thawed.
*Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, chili garlic sauce, vinegar, and 1 tsp sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
* Toss in rice and reserved egg and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute.
* Lastly, add green onions or scallions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

Photobucket
Beer-pancaaaaakes!

Ingredients

* 2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 egg, beaten
* 2 cup beer
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour in the egg, beer and melted butter; stir with a whisk just until blended - a few lumps are okay.

2. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot surface for each pancake. When bubbles appear on top of the pancakes, flip, and cook until browned on the other side.

((Note: I used Samual Adam's October fest and had the best results EVER! Coming from a person who, as a rule hates pancakes... these are amazing! And FLUFFY!))

(Note #2- if you use self rising flour, you can forgo the salt and baking powder)

(Note #3- Apparently, you can use rootbeer or other types of pop in this recipe in place of beer... I'm going to try that later~ )
When you're craving something more than nanner bread:

Banana Spice Cookies

1/4 cup shortening (like crisco)
1/4 cup butter or margarine (suggest melting)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 squished well)
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix wet ingredients well first, add remaining dry ones. Chill 1 hour in fridge (cover bowl with tinfoil). Dough will be sticky. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place dough on greased or non-stick cookie sheet, in spoonful sized drops about 2 inches apart ( I find that about 6 per sheet works well). Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool before frosting or it will melt and drip. Frost with Browned Butter Icing. As another note I don't start making the icing until after the cookies are all done and cooling, as is tends to stiffen.

Browned Butter Icing

1/3 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

In small saucepan over medium high heat, brown the butter. This is hard to explain if you have never done it. You will get it boiling and stir it until it turns brown, but does not burn, this adds a certain flavor. Remove from heat and blend in sugar. Add milk and vanilla. Sometimes it's still too dry and I add a few more Tbs. of milk. It should be stiff but spreadable.

And for Ed muffin:

Diamond Jubilee Applesauce Cake (ala ancient Sears catalog)

2 ½ c. flour
1 ½ tsp soda
½ tsp cloves
½ c. water
½ c. chopped walnuts
¾ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp allspice
1 (15 oz.) can applesauce – (equates to 2 cups just about as I've never found this elusive can)
2 c. sugar
1 ½ tsp. Salt
½ c. shortening
1 c. chopped golden raisens (*cough* I never chop them!)

Mix all together. Beat well with mixer. Pour into bunt or tube pan (greased and floured). Personally I just use a square cake pan, as does my mother. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until done. (Check with toothpick near center.) Sprinkle powdered sugar over top of finished cake if desired.

Sometimes I add chocolate chips to this one too. Very yummy. And it's great served with cool whip!

Photobucket
Dunno if I am allowed to ask for recipes here, but if anyone has a good pumpkin bread recipe, I would love you forever! The one at Starbucks is really the only good one I've found out there, but they've recently changed their recipe. Please help me give in to my sweet tooth! I love you long time.
In time for Turkey Day, for thems that don't like Turkey:

Duck with Bread stuffing
you will need:

1 duck*
1/2 loaf (or so)crusty french bread**.
1 smallish roasting pan
1 large mixing bowl
1 bamboo skewer or trussing supplies
Some Butter
Some Spices: Basil, Paprika, Oregano, Tarragon, Salt, Garlic, Onion powder***

Thaw out your duck. I usually leave it in the sink overnight. When it's room temperature, open it up and pull out the package of craptastic orange sauce inside. That goes in the trash, along with any giblets you don't feel like chopping or can't immediately recognize. Save out the gooey, easy-to-chop giblets and as much blood as you can - those go into the big mixing bowl. Rinse out the inside and outside of your duck. Pull off and discard any feather bits still attached. Set aside.

Preheat your oven to 325.

Slice up your bread and tear/chop it into little knuckle-sized raggedy bits, until you have about two cups worth. Set the rest of the loaf aside. Chop up your giblets. You *can* fry these up - along with the blood - quickly in a little saucepan with some salt and butter, but you don't actually have to: you can just add them to the stuffing raw and it won't hurt anything at all. Toss them into your mixing bowl and mix with your hands.
After you have washed the pink grue off your hands, measure out your spices. Opinions vary, of course, but my own mix is 2 Tbsp Basil, 2 tsp. Salt and 1 Tbsp everything else. Put these into a pestle and grind them together, then add to the mixing bowl. Mix the stuffing vigorously with your hands until your hands smell delicious. If you are using fresh onions, chop it wet (wet board, wet knife, wet onion) and add it last, otherwise your kitchen will tear up.

If you aren't using a rack, rub a little butter over the bottom of your roasting pan before you put the duck on there.

Stuff your duck. Put half the stuffing in the big flap of skin around the neck cavity and tuck it under. This will be a messy process, so do it first. Once you've got that done and the duck breast-side-up again, stuff the body cavity. Don't worry about the bread expanding, pack it as tightly as you like. Extra stuffing can go between the wings and the body, or tucked under the skin of the legs.
Use the skewer (or poultry truss, if you have 'em)to sew up the flap of skin around the cavity, making a little pouch with the tail (more room for stuffing that way). Once everything is reasonably neat, rub the skin with butter and sprinkle paprika on top.

Into the oven it goes! Estimate 20 minutes per pound. Pull out the pan at the half-mark and baste the heck out of it so the skin gets nice and cracklin' brown. There will be a LOT of fat. Baste baste baste. You can also dipper off some for gravy or other stuff halfway through. Check and baste often for the second hour of cookin'.

NOTE: Rare duck is good and won't kill you (unlike rare chicken), so you don't have to wait until the meat is falling off the bone to eat it. In fact, overdone duck is probably some kind of irish sin (like spilled whiskey), so pull it out fifteen minutes early and serve it.

*these are usually four to six pounds. If you are feeding more than three people, you will want a big duck.

**I find the crustier the bread, the better. If said bread can survive an epic baguette fencing match in the middle of the bakery without significant deformity, it is good bread. Also, stale bread works fine.

What to do with Leftover Duck

1 picked-over duck carcass
1 soup pot
1 smaller soup pot
1 colander or strainer
1 bottle leftover wine
assorted other leftovers

Well, first off, pick off any leftover stuffing and eat it. What was delectable bread stuffing yesterday will be, the next day, delicious DUCK-FLAVORED CROUTONS. Omg yum.
Before you make yourself sick with leftover stuffing, pop the whole carcass into a soup pot with 2 whole onions, garlic, and whatever else you have lying around for soup stock. Any stuffing clinging to the carcass is fine - it will just thicken up the soup, and you're going to strain it anyway, so relax.
Cover the carcass with water and a little leftover wine (and pour the rest into a glass - it's not as if its going to keep, after all), add a bit of salt, and get it just boiling. Turn the heat way down and simmer it for two hours while you putter around doing dishes or something.
When the onions have dissolved into goo, take the pot off the heat and let it cool for a bit. Set up your smaller soup pot with the colander atop it in your sink. When the carcass bones are cool enough to handle, pour off the stock into the small pot, letting the colander catch the bones and jellied onions and undissolved bread bits. Put the stock aside and poke around the bones in your colander.
You should be able to reserve a cup or two of little meat bits off the carcass. these go back into the stock. Everything else gets tossed. The small soup pot goes into the fridge for tomorrow, when you can skim off the duck fat and make it into soup by adding fresh spices, a half-cup of beans, lentils or rice, and whatever else sounds yummy.

((Rescued this from the Sents Forums, which are Going Away Soon(TM). ))
[/u]

As requested by Coehen: Creamy Turkey-Mushroom Soup!

Ingredients: (since I don't measure, bear with me)

2 medium-sized White Rose* potatoes, 1/2" dice
2 medium-sized Russet** potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
4 average-sized carrots, cut into 1/3" coins
1 clove garlic or equivalent quantity mashed/minced fresh garlic
1 shallot, minced
24 oz fresh white mushrooms, 1/2 lb of this sliced, the rest minced for sauteeing
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided into two portions
4-6 oz roasted turkey*** breast, 1/2" dice
3 c turkey*** stock
4 c heavy cream
1 bay leaf
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme (optional)

* Any low-starch potato can be used here
** Any high-starch potato can be used here
*** Can substitute chicken for this, but do not substitute duck

1) Boil your low-starch potatoes and your carrots until still faintly underdone. Depending on how many burners you have, you can also be boiling your high-starch potatoes during this time. Whether you do this simultaneously or sequentially, drain and reserve the low-starch potatoes and the carrots in a separate container from the high-starch potatoes. We're going to be using the latter to thicken.

2) Melt half your butter in a pan. Saute shallot and garlic over medium heat, then add minced mushrooms. Heat, stirring frequently for 10-15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been cooked out of the mushrooms. You can scrape this into the bowl with your thickening potatoes.

3) Melt the rest of the butter and repeat saute process with the sliced mushrooms. Throw those in with your carrot-potato thing.

4) Mash the potato-mushroom mixture in your stew pot and (slowly) pour in the stock and cream. Turn the heat down to low now and throw in your pepper and bay leaf. If you like thyme, toss that in. Once your liquid has been evenly heated add your carrot-potato-sliced mushroom mixture. Stir that bad boy up and let it simmer until the flavors have married.

5) Pluck out your bay leaf and now add a little bit of that lemon juice. Now taste. You want just enough acid to brighten it and add some balance, so don't dump it in all at once. Once you've adjusted seasoning (check the salt content now that it has reduced slightly) toss in that delicious poultry. Give it a stir. If it needs to thicken a bit, let it go. Otherwise five minutes should be sufficient.

Ta da.
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 58days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1016days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre