OOC

Mottie's laptop

Goto page 1, 2  Next

... is dying. We will replace it. We will get one bigger, stronger. Faster. Stinkier. Gnomier. What am I talking about??

If you want to help pitch in some $$$ to improve the chances of getting something decent post here or message me. Once we've got some numbers I've found a few laptops in different price-ranges that will be pretty nice regardless of what we end up paying.

I'm still paying for my own laptop but maybe I can pitch in.

I'll pitch in what I can next paycheck.  The one I got today is gone already on new tires.

I can try and donate as well! Maybe not for my first few paychecks (since I got rent and my truck and debts to pay off) but maybe by the end of the month or so I'll be able to help out :)

I can help out, too!

I can probably get something together, let me know if you set up a gofundme or paypal or whatever.

If you can give something, feel free. If you have bills or things you have to pay for of your own, don't. I'll cover whatever we don't get.

I'm still not sure what the best way to actually pool the funds together would be, though. PayPal seems like the best idea simply because we can drop it all straight in Mottie's lap; GoFundMe takes a cut of the money for themselves (understandably).

As of right now Mottie's laptop is still functioning, however, so we have time to figure things out. If at all possible I'd like to get something in numbers for what people wanna give. Whether it's $10 or $20,000, I'd just like to have something in mind to help figure out which laptop we aim for. Right now there are two I'm looking at in particular: one is about $500 and is decent and will handle WoW just fine. The other is about $700 and isn't simply "passable" or "will work" but is actually-factually a good laptop that will last a while.

Someone has offered about $100 already, and I am willing to go all-in on it, so as of now I feel like we are just under the $700 mark.

It also depends on whether or not Mottie's laptop can last through to the first of the month. If Mottie's computer dies before people get paychecks and stuff it might be more prudent to go with the "decent" laptop instead of the "good" one, obviously.

Last edited by Baenura on Oct. 15th, 2016 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

That first of the month mark will definitely affect how much I'll be able to pitch in, so let's hope it lasts at least that long!

I will know what I can chip in in the next couple weeks (might not be this coming paycheck, but the next check).

By the way, just a gentle reminder for everyone that M-player's preferred personal pronoun is them.  Thank you everyone for your willingness to pitch in here!  You folks continue to amaze, delight, and humble me with how kind you are to each other.  

Kiidia and I will do what we can.

Well, for now, does anyone have any suggestions for how to do this? I've used GoFundMe before but only as a donator, so I know they take a cut of the money. PayPal on the other hand... I dunno how that will work exactly, but it would require us to dump money directly onto Mottie which sounds more beneficial but at the same time I don't know the limits of PayPal's systems in that case.

I just kind of figured we would... buy something and ship it to them. Maybe paypal them the leftover cash?

My only issue with that is 1) it requires Mottie to give us an address, which probably isn't an issue but is still a matter of privacy, and 2) who do we get to actually receive it? Who is going to get it and then send it to Mottie? That would take even more time, for example.

I personally would rather just open a PayPal feed or GoFundMe or something so that we can feed Mottie the money required directly, then have them buy the computer themself. That way it'd get to Mottie way faster and more... better.

I'm going for a nap.

Buy it online, have it shipped directly. I never even considered shopping in a brick and mortar store for a laptop. I have their information, and I can ask if it can be shared, for the other, to whomever would make the purchase.

Paypal takes a cut, too, and at least in the past has been very weird about accounts suddenly getting a lot of payments, but if that's what works better, I'm all for it.

My vote is for a GoFundMe, though, overall.  The only problem with that is that GoFundMe pays out monthly, or something to that effect, but it works. I had an unsuccessful one earlier this year to help pay to get a wisdom tooth taken out in an emergency. 

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 57days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1016days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos