Dear Diary

Vox's Letters and Logs

Name: Tally Megavox

Clearance: 1

Priority Level: Low

The following materials are requested to be rendered to the location specified in this personnel's current records, with proper observance of all approved requests. These materials will be rendered based on supply, clearance, and personnel priority, to the judgement of the officer overseeing outgoing materials. Half of the required payment will be rendered alongside this request, and half will be rendered upon delivery.

The following materials or assemblies are requested:

-1 High-Yield Megavox Navigable User-sighted Kyparite Enhanced (N.U.K.E.) Warhead (reserved item)

-Arcane Nullifier X-38 Defense Module, x3

-Medical Formula E-10b (check prescription on file if needed), 2 month supply

Notes to officer may be included below:

Hey.

I've been settling into my new unit. They're good people. Assuming they think the same for me, I'll probably be staying around.

It hasn't been smooth sailing. We've been chipping at a Legion encampment in Shadowmoon since my enlisting, and they decided to push back yesterday. Two dreadlords, both under disguise. Lured us into a trap and we fell for it hard.

From what I can gather they worked their way into Wildhammer Keep and replaced their targets in the middle of the night. That's pretty bold. It's not a good sign.

Keep safe out there. I may come pick up this delivery, to cut down on travel delays. Expect me on the 9th.

Thanks.

-Vox

[ A grainy bit of noise, pierced by the occasional breeze, resounds in the background. ]

[ There's a click. Music plays, faint and with similar distortion. ]

"Hey sis. How's it going?"

"Sorry I haven't sent you anything in a while. I saw your letters. I've been meaning to stop in, but it's been a busy return trip. You know?"

"You've probably heard that things are getting a bit dicey. I don't know entirely what to tell you, other than what I told you when I was first coming back. The Legion's coming. I don't know when. But it's soon. Sooner now than then, from what my people are saying."

"I want you to keep safe back home, alright? S.A.F.E. should be able to take care of you. Don't travel far from them. I don't know why, but I just have... this feeling. That it's going to be coming, and quick."

"Be safe, alright?"

"...We're the only ones left."

"--Sorry."

"I'm not trying to get grim on you. You know that right? I just worry."

"Let me talk about something else."

"So, uh. It's been a while since I've done the whole dating thing."

"It's hard to get in the mood when you're stuck in a fel-blasted wasteland. Seeing a few people around here getting cozy is rubbing off on me though. Just a little bit."

"Do you think pandaren are out of my league?"

"I've only met a few of them, but they seem pretty great. And uh."

"Well, I told you what I was thinking when I was dating dwarves before, right? 'I want a woman who could break me over her knee'. I'm thinking 'could swallow me in a hug' now."

"They're so damn -fluffy-."

"I met a nice one tonight. Kinda clumsy. But y'know. Nice. I might have tried to slip a hint in there somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it missed."

"I guess winking looks like blinking with my lens on, come to think of it."

"--I can literally feel you judging me right now, while I'm recording this."

"Well. When you send back you should tell me how you're doing on that end. Maybe I can get a laugh in at you instead!"

"Hold up-- Mark's here. Lining up a shot."

[ There's a few minutes worth of silence, aside from some slight rustling. ]

[ There's a sound of a rifle firing. ]

"Down he goes. Troll male, unarmored, going to peg this at about... maybe eight-hundred yards off? Rounding generously, obviously."

"Through the neck. My accuracy's still a bit off from a wound, but it's getting better. Still down in one shot. I guess I'll get the confirmation and run this bounty back to the Wildhammer."

"I'm going to be visiting soon, on the ninth. Honestly this will probably get to you after I've already come and gone, so it's a bit silly to mention it. I heard about some kidnappings tonight. Ominous stuff. At first I assumed it was tied in with the cults springing up, but apparently it's happening in Pandaria as well. Not sure what to make of that. Some brave fool decided they were going to tromp into Duskwood on a lead though, and I think I might go with them."

"It's not safe to go it alone right now. And even if their courage is outpacing their common sense a little, I respect that kind of attitude."

"Reminds me of when I first joined the military."

"Hopefully we find something. Duskwood has always been a bit of a mess, even before the new cult activity. I can't imagine that's helped things at all. I know I'll be going in fully kitted out-- on orders, but I wouldn't step in there without a sidearm either way."

"--Anyways. That's enough for now, I guess. I should get to that kill before anyone comes looking for him."

"Take care."

The night had been restless for Tally. Many nights were, out here, with the clamor filling the sky almost constantly. She'd managed to sleep through it well enough the first week or so, but tonight it had grown particularly worrying on her brain.

She snapped awake to a sharp crack outside. The earth shook as cannons shelled down upon their position, landing concussively above their stone shelter with tremors that caused her to shudder and shake instinctively. Quickly she staggered up onto her feet, biting back a groan of pain as she felt her weight resting against her bad leg. She grabbed her rifle and shuffled off. The others still slept. Somehow she didn't even pay them attention as she hobbled towards the door of the great statue they were cloistered below.

Outside she could see the skies light with barrage after barrage of artillery, shelling down like a rain of fire and metal upon them. Shaking hands squeezed on her rifle, pulling it up as she limped into a corner where she could have some cover. Next to her Howlitzer arrived, his luminous eyes staring at her with curiosity. At her command he moved to brace her weapon all the same. She drew her sights out and about. Flinching each time another shell burst overhead and rattled her surprisingly weak and weary body. She stared out through her scope, vision going blurry as she felt her chest heave and flutter with quick, urgent breaths.

She swallowed hard. She choked, her hands starting to shiver as she pulled her mark from place to place around the woods ahead. She didn't see anything. Flash after flash came and she hoped it would illuminate their lurking foes, the massing force that had suddenly besieged them so heavily. She could hear screaming. She could hear gunfire and clashing steel. Her radio buzzed with hurried orders and calls for help, with voices she hadn't heard in years. She could hear the sound of a crackling, burning flame itching up along her right leg, flaring up in a sharp burst of pain that suddenly threw her weight out from under her and sent her scattering down onto the stone, slipping out from under Howlitzer and tumbling down onto the soaked earth and grass below. Quickly she scrabbled to stand upright, her injured leg quaking as she fumbled for her pistol, drew, and... stopped.

Outside of the great statue of Nashal there was nothing but storms. She could feel the rain drumming down heavily upon her as she crumpled down to her knees on the sodden earth. Up above the statue's peak was assaulted by cracking lightning over and over again. She looked up to it as a feeling of cold and weightlessness washed over her. In a moment of lucidity she flicked the thermal vision of her lens on, and saw nothing but goats and other beasts milling around in the night.

Howlitzer was down with her soon enough, prodding at his maker inquisitively. When she began to rise he leaned his head down, Tally accepting the offer of help and shifting her meager weight onto the metal hound. With teetering steps she headed back up to the statue's entrance. She reached down, seized the flask at her hip, and took a deep drink.

Hopefully it'd kick in soon.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 58days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 77days ago0 Replies
 92days ago0 Replies
 1017days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre