OOC

Hey Servitors, What're ya readin'?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
I am currently reading The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner and God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert and then I have The Hobbit, the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Shaping of Middle Earth, Chapterhouse: Dune, and Love's Executioner by Irvin D. Yalom waiting for me when I finish those two.

At my pace of reading (a few pages a day), I should finish by the time 6.0 hits beta.

"It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see. The writer shakes up the familiar scene, and, as if by magic, we see a new meaning in it." ~Anais Nin
I'm currently re-reading the Earth's Children series in its entirety for nostalgia purposes, but am looking forward to getting some of the recommendations in this thread. We discussed it briefly in chat awhile ago, but Stephenson's Anathem is amazing.
I just bought Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling for my Kindle Android app. This is the 4th book in the Nightrunner series. If you've never read this series, I highly recommend it: I stumbled across the first book last year and have been highly delighted. I just finished reading a collection of short stories by David Coy, Turn a Dark Phrase, and liked his work. Common Sense by Thomas Paine is in my reading queue for the next week, and so is Treasure Island by Louis Stevenson. The classics are always a good read. Happy

Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread to determine which side it is buttered on.

-Ambrose Bierce
My vacatio reading will include "Operating Rules of the Long Island Railroad" "49 cfr 220-240" and "Berlin at War."

MAYBE I'll get that tides of darkness book

I read all of a Song and Ice and Fire lately, and I'm working on a book about the visions and prophecies of the Book of Revelations! (I would be surprised if it doesn't creep into my RP!)

Chromosome 6, since I'm a sucker for all things Robin Cook. Found a discarded copy of Monty Python's Tunisian Holiday as well, currently serving as bathroom reader.

Is it so frightening to have me at your shoulder?
Thunder and lightning couldn't be bolder.
I'll write on your tombstone, ''I thank you for dinner.''
This game that we animals play is a winner.
NECRO-THREAD.

I've actually had time to read for fun this semester and so far I've knocked out:

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Marie Remarque

and I just started

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

I guess between my last post and now I have read

Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
all by George R.R. Martin and I'm partway through

Dance of Dragons, his fifth book in A Song of Ice and Fire series.

You're going to love Pillars of the Earth, Bromm. Seriously.
I love All Quiet on the Western Front.

*Signed in an elegant, yet playful calligraphy*

Latsari
Co-Proprietress of the Ravenwood Arms

Necro-thread!

Bringing this back because BOOKS!

Currently I am reading The Wild Places by Robert MacFarlane. Its about the author's journeys across Great Britain in search of truly 'Wild' places. He does some amazing prose and I got turned onto him from another of his books I had to read for my Mountain Geography class called Mountains of the Mind, which I also highly recommend.

Since my last post I've knocked out:

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet (which I DID love Mena!)

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin, fifth book in A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale

And these were some assigned readings for some of my upper level geography courses and I loved them all. Mainly non-fiction and about the environment if those are interests of yours:

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold - One of the first conservationist writers. This book is simply an account of Leopold's experiences with nature on his small farm in rural Wisconsin at different times of the year. I love how he writes about nature and his observations. He also has a tendency to personify animals which can be pretty humorous.

Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - A mystery thriller related to ancient-Puebloan culture in the southwest.

Encounters with the Archdruid by John McPhee - Anecdotes of several events in the life of David Brower, one of the more controversial conservationists in America's history.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer - A first-hand account of one of the deadliest climbs on Mount Everest by one of the most accomplished American climbers.

Zen of the Plains by Tyra A. Olstad - Memoirs about the authors personal experiences and impressions of deserts and plains environments and their importance in present day culture.

Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams - Personal experiences of the author and how her relationship with family and with the environment impacted her through different significant events in her life.

The Wild Muir - 22 short stories about the legendary conservationist, explorer, and outdoorsman.

Books I have on my more immediate radar are:

The World of Ice and Fire - An overview on the history of George R.R. Martin's tales in the Song of Ice and Fire.

Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

What are you all reading / have read / looking to read soon?

I'm currently reading

Edge: By Koji Suzuki

When a tram of American scientists tests new computer hardware by calculating the value of Pi into the deep decimals, the figures begin to repeat a pattern where where ought to be none. After older machines of certified reliability give the same result, a seemingly irrational fear sets in. It's mathematically untenable—unless the physical constants that undergird our universe have altered, ever so slightly…

So far it seems to be about weird disappearances of people.

Before that I read the Ring trilogy of novels (Also by Koji), and In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. Before that read Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

So a couple weeks ago I went ahead and got a couple of Warcraft books--War Crimes and Vol'jinn: Shadows Of the Horde, to be exact--aaaaand also Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to fill in my idle time at work.

Aaaaannnnd I've just finished those as of Saturday.

I guess this is my obligatory annual reading post.

I just wrapped up reading 1984 by George Orwell. Started it back in January. It's been eerie reading it in light of the current American political climate.

In the fall I read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. It's a really nice personal account of Abbey's time spent as a park ranger in Utah's Arches National Park in the late 1950's. It's an interesting combination of an homage and exultation of the American southwest desert landscape and the solitude Abbey finds there, crossed with a fairly cynical critique and ominous foretelling of the country's treatment of wild, undeveloped, and presumably "protected" spaces. Definitely a good read and Abbey's words have been quoted across numerous National and State park interpretation centers across the United States.

Just switched over to actually reading A World of Ice and Fire as I mentioned in last year's post.

I'm slow, okay.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 58days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1016days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre