History

Braenna from the beginning

((This will probably be a slow roll, but I wanted to get Braenna's early life experiences written down Happy Critiques are always welcome!
-Brae))

“Loran,” the dwarven woman screamed. “I will kill you and ALL of your progeny for doing this to me!”

Loran looked down into the birthing pool, and took hold of his wife’s hand. “Baerla, my progeny are your progeny as well. Please keep that in mind before the slaughter begins.” He quickly dropped her hand and stepped back as the shrieking woman’s other hand came flying dangerously close to his head.

“That DOES NOT HELP,” Baerla moaned, “I thought we were done after Midra, and now, another child? Midra finally moved on, and we’re not spring chicks anymore, Loran.”

“I know, Baerla. Everything will be fine. We’ll have only the one, instead of three young’uns running around.” Loran wrapped a comforting arm around his wife.
Baerla sighed and sank into his arms. “I know, I know. You’re right, of course. This little one won’t know what to do with all the attention we will be able to foist on---OOOH DAMN!! Here it comes!” Baerla’s face contorted in pain as a low growl emanated deep from within, and she strained with effort.

Loran quickly stood up, and moved into position. “PUSH! I can see the head!” Loran cradled the newbown as she made her entrance into the world. “It’s a girl!”

Baerla called for her new child, “Let me see her, Loran.” Baerla sighed contentedly as the girl was given to her. “What shall we name her…we are running out of people to name daughters after.”

“That’s fine, we can come up with something on our own, then, or we could name her after your mother, Lina,” Loran quickly spat out the last few words.

“Oh no, Lina is too…old sounding,” Baerla laughed, “How about Helane?”

“Ha!” Loran cackled back, “And my suggestion seemed too old? Hmm…How about Braenna?”

“I like that!” Baerla added, “How about Braenna Elspeth? I think that has a good sound to it.”
“Braenna Elspeth Ironbeard. I think we have a name!”

Baerla handed the babe off to the waiting midwife, and Loran helped her onto the more comfortable bed. “Now get a message off to Moira, Yerley, and Midra about their new sister!”

ONE YEAR LATER

“Eeee!” the baby, wrapped to her mother’s back, squealed as Baerla quickly turned to the opening door.

“Callum,” Baerla exclaimed, “what happened to your arm?”

Callum grimaced, as his mother answered for him. “This cack-handed gumby fell out of a tree, and I think he broke it.”

Baerla rushed to Callum, and quickly checked over his arm. Her poking and prodding elicited a strong “OWWW” from Callum, and Baerla determined, “Yes, definitely broken. Give me a minute to prepare, and I’ll fix you up.”

The healer began focusing on Callum’s arm, channeling her limited ability to the boy’s injury. As she focused, Callum squealed in discomfort as the bone mended itself. Baerla finished the mending, and sat back with a long sigh. She and the boy’s mother looked over her handiwork. “It’s not perfect, but it’ll do,” Baerla noted.

Callum began flexing his arm, twisting and turning it to test the mending. His mother felt the formerly broken area, asking “this feels…not quite right. Are you sure you’re done?”

“Yes, “Baerla answered, a bit testily, “I am. I’m not one of those fancy Ironforge healers that can spend the whole of their life training, and perfecting my craft. I’ve got three grown daughters, and this new little one, taking up the vast majority of my time. My work may not bring your son’s arm back to full strength, but it will have full function, and he will not lose it. What more would you like?”

“Nothing,” Callum’s mother said bashfully, “thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.

Baerla brightened considerably, and said, “Oh, don’t worry about it, it was my pleasure. I’ll see you soon! And stay out of those trees, Callum, I don’t want to have to fix you again!”

“Thanks, Mrs. Ironbeard!” Callum shouted as he ran out of the house, “I promise I won’t!”

“And as for you, little one,” Baerla looked at her daughter, still strapped to her back, “lets get you some food, I bet you’re getting hungry. Who’s momma’s precious little angel?” Braenna giggled as her mother cooed, and listened in rapt attention. Soon the child was fed and content yet again.
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 59days ago3 Replies
 69days ago0 Replies
 77days ago0 Replies
 92days ago0 Replies
 1017days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos