History

((OOC, Open)) Shedding a bit of light on Earnan's backstory.

((This is all OOC - I would love to have you guys add tips or have ways of drawing in other stories from the guild - this is seriously open, I have no problem adding, changing or transforming whole blocks of this in order to achieve a more interesting story. Feel free to post comments below!))

Earnan’s father’s family comes from a long line of shamanism, steeped in the more feral art of spiritual links to the animal spirits/ancestors. Faolan Blazebraid, Earnan's grandfather, incorporated a version of the gift of the elements with blood magic (something more akin to troll voodoo practice and ancestor veneration). Faolan was known to take the form of a giant blood-hound, which he preferred almost keenly over his natural state. Earnan recalls how his father and grandfather and a few other close relatives, including his paternal uncles Maghan and Gram, would mercilessly hunt Dragonmaw orcs in the highlands (most likely as a spirit-wolf pack) when pressure for resources began ramping up, and the Dragonmaw began again to actively raid gryphon aeries with drakes in their ranks. Earnan recalls moments when his father and grandfather would return home, bloodied and wild, sometimes “drunk”, their clothing torn, gear covered in grass and dirt. Faolan would be admonished by his usually verbose wife, Madrig, but she would not press him, allowing him to take his blood-hound form to sleep by the fire. Earnan turned out to be her favourite grandson.

Earnan’s life changed when he, his parents and his mother’s brother left with the Nesingwary Expedition to Outland. His parents were hired as trackers, scouts and leatherworkers, and Earnan was expected to perfect his own skills in these regards at Wildhammer Keep, a natural abode for four Twilight Highland dwarves. Unknown to Earnan was that his father had been given an opportunity to bring his son under the tutelage of the Earthen Ring shamans, an offer given him by correspondence with Kurdran Wildhammer. Orik was loathe to allow his son to grow up under the tutelage of his own father, and after frequent quarrelling, decided he needed to remove his family.

The Nesingwary expedition gave Orik a way to escape Faolan’s strange hold over him and Clara. As it stood, Orik’s attempts to escape his father pulled his family into a darker net of intrigue in Outland. Opportunistic members of the expedition ended up leading an unfortunate caravan on its trip out of Outland and back to the Dark Portal – on the way, members of The Cabal (faction in Outland consisting of Shadow Council remnants from the time before the First War) were found hidden in the caravan. Earnan’s uncle, a dour old fool, had been one who caved immediately to the promises of the cultists, selling out his sister’s family so the Cabal would have a place to begin their machinations, having bribed their passage out of Outland to make contact with the world Gul’dan had originally promised them, and in an attempt to take control of the caravan’s members as puppets. It was at this moment that several magical altercations commenced, leaving the entire caravan party destroyed except for an unexpected follower; a recently returned draenei death-knight named Zardok who had been following the Cabal’s attempts to enter Azeroth for the last few months. Zardok slew the Cabalists, but was unable to save the caravan – only Earnan, barely alive and about to pass into the Shadow Realm, caught his attention – Earnan amazingly was still alive, though barely, in his spirit-wolf form, and around him were gathered the spirit forms of his father, grandfather, and numerous other members of his family – in an apparent attempt to buy him time.

Faolan had long ago tied the lives of his kin and clan to Earnan – they had given their lives so that he might buy crucial moments of his own. Faolan told Zardok that his grandson was destined to be the most powerful shaman the Blazebraid clan had ever seen, and that he was to be kept alive, at all costs. “His future runs deep intae th’ earth and intae the spirit world. E’s a scion o’ the Wild-Hammer, a spirit-walker, an’ ‘eh were nae abou’ tae let ‘em die! Get ‘em tae the Highlands, fer healin’, yeh ken?”

Zardok had no interest in keeping the dwarf alive, and refused Faolan. “You have no power over me dwarf. I have treated with shades, spirits, and the un-dead. You have no jurisdiction in my existence, not unless you were a shade.” It was then that his long-dead brother, Valnok appeared and told Zardok the dwarf might be his final hope for redemption; the death-knight had passed into the service of Attumen the Huntsman and the Shadow Realm back on Azeroth when he began his pact with the Dark Riders of Duskwood to hunt the orcs of Blackrock.

Faolan impressed upon the draenei that his grandson would be able to aid him in removing his unwholesome ties to the realm of Shadow, since Zardok was not raised undead, but lived a protracted, elongated existence as a thrall. Zardok ignored the dwarf’s ability to “read” him, but under oath to his brother’s spirit, honoured Faolan’s wish, and while the spirits of the family slipped away, unable to continue keeping Earnan alive, Zardok hurried with him to Auchindoun, and transplanted into him his pure, dead brother’s heart using the realm of Shadows and the aid of Faolan and Valnok’s ghost. It was a quicker solution than the Earthen Ring could offer.

Faolan knew Zardok’s dark gifts would likely bring corruption from the Shadow Realm into Earnan, and forced the death-knight to promise he would continue to keep watch over him. Zardok quickly acquiesced. “I have no reason to let him die now. If he can end my torment, I will watch him like I watched the orcs of Blackrock – unwaveringly, and energetically. You had better hope your promises hold true, wolf-dwarf, or I will find even you in the shadow and hunt you.”

Earnan returned from Outland with Zardok without much recollection of what occurred. Zardok had found the note left by Earnan’s uncle with a list of names of his family who, ironically enough, had been saved from Cabal enticements and puppetry only to die for a scion who knew nothing of his dark, sanctimonious return from death. Zardok passed himself off as a friend of Earnan’s family who had been tailing the caravan. They returned to Azeroth and the Highlands to find the Shattering; an event neither had been prepared for. They found the Blazebraid clan home a shambles, but according to an account from Zardok, the bodies seemed absolutely pristine, with only a bright red totem mark blazing on their hands. Zardok “buried” Earnan’s family, disallowing the dwarf from seeing them himself.

And you, Servitors, all know the rest of the story up to this point...feel free as I said above to add or suggest ideas. Good RP doesn't happen in monologue.
There is some inconsistency with Zardok's "line of work" and his eventual communication with Attumen the Huntsman. It should read that Zardok eventually made contact with Attumen, but not as a pact in hunting the Black-Rock orcs, many of which had already been rounded up in camps before the Dark Riders ever began emerging around Duskwood... that's my bad.
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 58days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1016days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos