Information

Mena's RP Thread: Tips, Tricks, and Links Galore!

WATCH THIS SPACE.

I'll let you know here if there's been an update. Promise.

---------------

Please note: This is a work-in-progress. I will be adding to it over time, so check back on occasion. If you have feedback, feel free to add a link or a suggestion. If you have a rant, take it elsewhere.

Whew. Mischief Cumbersome disclaimer managed! Hello there. Mean Mena here. I guess you stopped by to see what I'm up to, then. Walk with me, if you would.

We're going to have a chat. About roleplaying. I'm sure you're aware of this thing called Google. Google's nice. But... <voice drops to conspiratory whisper> some folks don't like to Google.

And that's where I come in!

Now. This is going to be something I'll be working on for awhile. Not like a column or a blog, but like one thread, edited for your pleasure. Too many bloggers out there anyhow. Dunno about you, but sifting through someone's -- oh. Sorreh. <sheepish face>

To business, shall we?

---------------

When someone shows up to roleplay, I expect a couple of things from them. Here are my expectations:

Be present. RP is something that is made, not something watched. It is something that involves give-and-take. Not just take. If I'm RPing with you, and five minutes goes by without any response, I'm going to assume you're afk and start planning my next activity. Now you might not be afk. You might just be... lurking. This puts the burden of driving RP solely on the shoulders of your RP partner. Congratulations. You're now a spectator. You're now taking from RP and not giving.

Watching's fine. If you want to just watch, though... you don't want to roleplay. Which means you are 'not present'.

Perhaps you're not afk. And not lurking. Perhaps it's a IC thing. Let's talk about that. Character in a bad mood? Emote some crankiness. Character not a talker? Emote some silence. Emotes are your friend. They, more than words, paint the picture and set the tone. Take advantage of this. Don't just sit there like a bump on a log! I want you to /e sits there like a bump on a log!

You get the point. Be present.

Be courteous. We all know that life>RP. This is not debatable. We're all adults here, we know that sometimes there is a cat on fire. Sometimes there is a phone, it is ringing, and you are expected to pick it up. That's fine.

But tell me.

If you show up to RP, and know you only have 20 minutes... tell me.

If you will have to afk in the middle to pick up your kid/fish/sack of flour... tell me.

If you are alt-tabbed doing something else and not solely focused on RP... tell me.

I'm not an NPC. I'm a real, thinking, acting, timewasting human being behind this monitor. And I need feedback. I crave it. Whether it's a 'sry brb 5' in /party or an announcement at the beginning (or even better, before the beginning) of an RP session, I need it. NEED. FEEDBACK. GIMME.

Be aware. This is a big one. Be aware that while I might like you, my char might hate your char's guts. If you haven't noticed... Mena's kind of a bitch. But Mena's player probably likes you (the player, not your pixellated alter-ego) just fine. You are not your character. I am not mine. So don't forget about that little OOC/IC thing. Please remain aware of it.

Why, you might ask? Why does it matter? It matters, muh dahlink, because when you attach your emotions to your character's emotions, it puts the burden of emotional responsibility squarely on the shoulders of your RP partner. We're RPing, don't forget. If I wanted to talk to you I'd pick up a phone. I don't want to have to take emotional responsibility for you. I mean... it's flattering, but we haven't even had dinner together yet. I'm not that kinda girl.

It's not fun. Roleplaying should be, first and foremost, fun. So be aware.

Last edited by Maasi the Devout on Mar. 8th, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bumping because it's something that all of us as RPers should remember.  Also because Mena is just awesome.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 59days ago3 Replies
 69days ago0 Replies
 78days ago0 Replies
 92days ago0 Replies
 1018days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos