Dear Diary

The Assorted Stories and Journals of Jennalyn

They say the Legion is returning as well as the demon hunters. Light help us if that's the case. We just finished one war, then were launched onto another planet, and now our own is at risk from the same forces. I am torn on this and I feel bad for thinking it but if it's true, if we're about to witness a war to end all wars, I picked a good time to retire from the Brigade. But on the other side, most of my friends are still in and will be on the front lines wherever the Legion strikes. Part of me wishes I could be there with them and part of me is relieved I won't be. This is something to think about more and to see how life plays out. But there's hardly any use in pondering future what ifs and worrying. War is war and it always seems to happen these days.

I think it's hanging more heavily on my mind this month, which makes sense. On the night of the twentieth it will be three years since I was on patrol in Krasarang with my squad when everything went wrong. Maybe this year will be the year that explosions don't send me ducking for cover. I've seen improvement, at least, and my leg and hip have stopped aching besides when under extreme strain. I do have a tendency to baby my leg, but I'd rather do that than make it worse by kneeling wrong, or Light help me, running. 

It's been a few weeks in the Servitors of Lothar now, on a lighter note, and I'm enjoying it greatly so far. These people are from diverse backgrounds and races but they all seem to be genuine and nice people. As expected, of course, they seem very glad to have a cook around, not that I'm complaining. I met a Pandaren named Ah'Lam, who as it turns out is also a good cook, so I think we'll get along. I haven't seen much of CDR Longsight but plenty of a few sergeants and I feel safe in thinking we're in good hands from a command standpoint. I suppose my final judgment on that will come from seeing real combat with these folks but I'm not worried. Each one of them seems to have a good head on their shoulders and I'll gladly trust them at my back.

The only mildly concerning happening was the investigation of some arcane shards a few nights back.

Here's to hoping our future engagements are easy victories and not beatings.

I finished the grave for a troll and her raptor today. Light only knows what she was killed by, my guess is on demon or some sort of rabid yeti, but it was viciously done and the thing seemed to take enjoyment from it. Glorus was uneasy and I trust his judgment as well as I trust my own. 

I don't know the burial habits of these Hinterlands trolls but I do remember seeing the catacombs of some Hills-offshoot Drakkari and I tried my best with what little resources I had. The girl has her own grave at the foot of the tree and her raptor is next to it. Obviously, with burned bodies, there was little more than charred bones to bury, but the trolls seem to believe that anything helps to keep the spirits at rest. For the raptor I left a sealed jar of chicken jerky as a sorry replacement for an offering, and the girl I left flowers and berries and some shiny sea shells I'd picked up on my last walk down by the shore out here. I do hope the effort is enough to give her rest. I'm not sure how trolls work with afterlives. My plan is to visit her grave at least once a month and leave more offerings, primarily because I'm the only one who knows she's buried here and I doubt these local trolls will be very friendly to a human. Even the Horde ones. Probably especially the Horde ones. 

I didn't know what prayers to offer, I sure don't speak any sort of troll, but I tried consecrating the area so that her spirit won't be disturbed. It seemed to work, at least. Glorus was a bit more at ease. I'm writing it down, just in case I stumbled on an actual prayer. Light knows I need actual training. Someday, perhaps.

Light, great Loa, the elements, and nature,
                I ask that this place be consecrated and kept safe.
                Let no harm come to the spirits that rest here.
                May they find peace in death and know no pain.

Because she's a troll, I added the Loa bit in, just to be safe. They seem to be rather omniscient and I would really not like to have one mad at me.

But that's enough grim journaling. I'm going to walk ten laps around Aerie Peak now that we can't walk the roads alone and then I think tonight I'll make cheesy potatoes. It feels like a warm, homey food kind of day.

Dear ma,

I hope you're doing fine! I know I said I was planning on visiting this weekend again but something came up

Jenn frowned at the page, rolling slightly onto her side to get a better angle to write at. It was hard, trying to get a letter out like this. Although the pain had decreased, her chest still ached, and the minimal sleep she did get felt completely unsatisfactory. 

I got on the wrong side of an ogre last night out in Arathi. Our medic stabilized me really quick and I'm set to make a full recovery. Don't worry yourself too much! I just had some bad bruising is all and I'm going to be really sore and staying in bed for the next while. 

The lie bothered her, as it always did, and she pursed her lips. Still, a white lie would be better than the whole story. She could still taste blood in her mouth.

Send some cookies up, if you're set on worrying. I'm not going to be up and cooking for a bit yet and I could use a snack! Ha ha.

Love you,

Jenn

That would be good enough for now. She folded the letter up, neatly penning her address onto the back, before setting it aside to await a passing Wildhammer who could get it to a mailbox.

It was going to be a long few days.

Dear ma,

At least I'm not dead

We had a mission tonight that went sideways pretty quick, but I'm alright. Have you ever heard of the Caverns of Time? Turns out there's portals there into the past. We took one to the fall of the Well of Eternity, which looked like the end of the world this elven city and ran into a few demons. Nothing I couldn't handle! I'm in bed for a few days, doctor's orders, but I'll be up and at 'em again soon.

I went through Stormwind on my way up and I saw something. A few somethings. Do you remember when you told me the cultists were out before I got back from Northrend? Right before the world shattered? It looks like some are back and they're talking about Sargeras and the Legion. 

I'm afraid, ma. They're really coming after all. It's going to be soon. 

As soon as I can walk alright I'm going to come to the farm and help you secure the place. If the demons are coming, Light knows we're going to need to board up the windows like the old days. Maybe demons can be scared off by Ted like bandits were! Ha ha.

I cast a lot of Light today, which I'm real proud about. You know what that is for me. I think he'd be proud if he could see me now. I think it's his libram rather than me but it saved us out there tonight when we needed all the help we could get. 

I miss him a lot 

I'll be back home before you know it!

I love you so much, please keep me updated if anything happens at home and be careful if you visit Stormwind.

Love,

Jenn

Dear ma,

I might beat this letter home depending on how good this courier is, we'll see. I'm probably not going to be able to stay long, but I miss you and I'm worried.

I've been having dreams again. I keep seeing the sky turn green and a giant black thing come overhead. I would think it's the Skyfire but it's all black and thinner. And then everything turns into green flames and I wake up. 

The last time I had dreams like these, I found him in Northrend

We're ordered to remain in our armor at all times. I think given those dreams, I would be anyway. It's the Legion, ma. Light help us all when they arrive. Some in the unit say it'll be soon. I need to come back and warn you all, and help prepare if we can. 

Has Thorton's neighbor's kid been found yet? Light I hope it isn't some early demons, or more of those doomsayers I saw in Stormwind. We have enough problems without our kids vanishing. Light help us.

I'll see you soon.

Love you,

Jenn

Dear Ma,

Argus is something else. It feels off, like parts of the Broken Isles felt but worse. There are ghosts, too. In Mac'Aree. It used to be a big city but now it's only ruins. 

I saw a woman. She ran up to me and cr

Jenn's pen nearly tore the paper as she scribbled out all she'd written. She couldn't write it. She could barely wrap her mind around it. One moment, she'd been standing alone in front of a defense pylon, waiting for Z and Izzy to finish repairing it, and the next, a distraught draenei woman was sobbing to her. Only the woman had the telltale transparent sheen to her face and Jenn could see the ground through her face. 

Draenic was not a language she spoke but she could understand tone well enough. The woman's family, or some at least, died already. By how she pointed at the sky, Jenn guessed that she was too late to reach the leaving escape ship. All she could offer was comfort, to be with the long dead, doomed woman and to listen to her cries. And then the woman had faded away and Jenn had been left alone once again.

She wanted to believe that she'd helped, somehow; that, perhaps, the spirit had found peace in their brief moment of connection. She couldn't be sure, nor was she sure she wanted to find out. 

With a quiet sigh, Jenn turned the page in her notebook.

Dear Ma,

Doing alright on Argus so far. It's a giant planet. The views from the Vindicaar - that's the draenei ship we're on - are breathtaking but ugly. There's so much fel here. 

I'm doing my best to be careful. So far, I've only gotten a bruise or two. I'll be alright, though. We have some great healers and there's the Army of the Light on our ship, too. 

You should see their armor. If you think the usual draenei vindicators are bright and shiny, your jaw would drop at these guys. It looks like they're wearing Light. It's beautiful, really.

Had my first mission on the ground here today. Went alright. Helped set up defense crystals. Going to be staying over Mac'Aree for a while, I think.

It used to be their capital city, I think. I can see the ruins of the city from here. It's not on the ground, though. It all got thrown up into the air, at a right angle almost. I don't want to see how that happens. 

I used the Light today, too. Still focusing through his libram. I can't do it myself. Maybe it really is only me but 

Don't have too much fun without me! I think we'll be out here for a while, but I'll still be home before you know it.

Love you,

Jenn

Dear Ma,

I saved a krokul last night! Those are the smaller draenei with back tentacles. He was going to have his soul ripped out but we got there just in time. Commander Stonebrow and I got him fixed up enough to carry him back. I wasn't sure how well I would do but the Light just came to me.

I haven't tried using it in a fight, though. I don't want it to not work.

I keep having strange dreams. They remind me of the ones before C and I went to Northrend, when I'd see him on the glacier. I keep seeing felfire and demons and I wake up gasping. I'll be extra careful, don't you worry about me. 

I saw him in a different dream. It messed me up the next day, but it was nice. He wasn't undead this time, like some of the nightmares I told you about. He looked like he did when he left and he was so happy to see me. I think I like those dreams better than the felfire ones, haha. Maybe that's what's helping me get the Light back. 

I'll be home for a bit for the Hallow's End bonfire night. I want to try a new pumpkin pie idea I've had. 

See you next week!

Love you,

Jenn

Dear Ma,

It's almost my favorite season! I've been gathering up a list of treats to make everyone. Hopefully I can get everything baked and out before we go on furlough. I also helped start an idea for a potluck style Servitors holiday party. I think that'll be real nice.

Oh! And I helped name Nia's little gryphon -- that's the daughter of Commander Mindspanner and Advisor Silverwright. (The one I keep ma'aming.) I'm also making sugar cookies for her -- do you still have my old recipe there? The firm version?

Went to a memorial last week for the fallen. It was needed, I think. Been seeing a lot of war in the last few years. I spoke about everyone lost in Westfall, Krasarang, and Northrend. Well, really only Andren. 

I had a dream with him recently. A good one this time, not just rehashing when he died, so don't you worry too much. We were back in that clearing where he'd first started teaching me about the Light, except I was my age now. I was even wearing my Servitors tabard and my fancy gold armor. He looked about the same, though. I don't remember much of the details - you know how dreams go - but I think he was glad to see me and it felt like we'd been reunited. It was a real comforting dream. Better than the ones about felfire and demons, haha.

Oh, before I forget! We might have a nice fellow Westfallian stopping in sometime in the future. I met her at the memorial and she was real nice. Used to be out around Moonbrook before she left and moved to Stormwind. Like I told her, I probably patrolled right by before. Small planet!

I might stop by in early December to grab some cookbooks. There's a mission to Argus in a few days or I'd go sooner. I don't want to put those details in a letter in case it falls in the wrong hands but it's looking like a real serious mission. I'll tell you more when I get home! 

Let me know if you want added to the baking list, haha.

Love you,

Jenn

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 28days ago3 Replies
 38days ago0 Replies
 46days ago0 Replies
 61days ago0 Replies
 986days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To