Information

How To: Character Conversations

I saw this on tumblr and I thought I'd repost it over here, because it's something I think it's a very helpful guide and something to think over.

-

There is nothing more discouraging when your character is trying to converse, but the other character keeps shutting you down or alternately, does not reciprocate.  It can be disheartening, exhausting, and no fun.  Even more importantly, it’s bad RPing. 

Examples of shut downs:

• the character keeps giving negative responses
  • the character will answer questions but then will offer no follow-up
  • there is a lot of internal exposition, but then the character only responds with a word or two
  • the character belittles or dismisses the other character’s thoughts, suggestions, questions, then does not add anything
  • the character is too shy or afraid to speak or take any action; waits for the other character to take initiative
  • the character challenges the other character to impress them somehow, before they decide to engage
  • the character refuses to engage in any way: refuses to consider ideas, shows no interest, abruptly leaves

If you realize your character consistently uses a few of these tactics, you may think: “but my character is grumpy/an asshole/anti-social/really shy/scared/bitchy/a loner/hates people/has issues!  It’s natural for them to act that way!“

This might be true, but the Mun/Player does not have to write that way.  There is a difference between the Mun’s character’s personality, and the Mun’s writing. RPing is interactive and it’s a two-way street.  As a Mun, it is your responsibility to figure out how to be engaging and encouraging to your partner, regardless of your character’s personality.

There are three sections:

• Classic Improv
  • ‘The Best’ vs ‘Show Your Work’
  • Are You Not Entertained?

CLASSIC IMPROV

Using improv techniques can be really useful for RPing interaction!

One of the main concerns of the conversationally-impaired is how to continue a conversation once it’s started. 

1. ‘Yes, and’ technique:

Accept what the other character says as a contribution to the conversation, then add to that.  Your fellow Player’s character makes an ‘offer’ (ie: says or does something), and your writing adds to it. It’s not as easy as it sounds.  However, using ‘Yes, and’ creates an improvised conversation where the story-line develops in fun and surprising ways for both RP Partners.

example of NOT doing ‘Yes, and’ in conversation:

“Hey!” said Character A.  “Your lunch looks great.  Did you make that yourself?”
”Uh, no I bought it,” Character B replied.

This just shuts the Character A down entirely. They have no where to go with this response, and it doesn’t help conversation flow.  

example of doing ‘Yes, and’ in conversation:

“Hey!” said Character A.  “Your lunch looks great.  Did you make that yourself?” 
”Yes, and it was really difficult to make,” Character B sighed.  “Baking bread is so hard.”

You do not have to literally use ‘Yes, and’  in the character’s response.  When writing, apply the concept to keep your writing positive and flowing.  Your character can still be negative, but you can still imply ‘Yes, and’.

example of using ‘Yes, and’ as a writing application:

Character B looked incredulous. “Uh, no I bought it.  You think this looks good?  Ugh. Wanna trade lunches?”

By adding a follow-up to the answer, you’ve continued conversation.

2. Don’t block

Blocking is when your RP partner tries to take the action in one direction, and you deny them– either because you don’t recognize the direction they’re headed, or because you have your own ideas of where it should go. 

If another character suggests an idea, don’t shut them down immediately.  Even if your character is negative, it’s then up to you to offer a counter-offer.  If your character says no, then think of something they can suggest in return, or an action that your partner’s character can react to, or some alternative.  

example #1 of blocking:

”Wow that lightning storm last night was incredible,”  marveled Character A. 

Character B shrugged.  “Not really.”

This puts the onus on Character A’s Player to continue the conversation, which isn’t good or fair RPing.

example #2 of blocking:

“Wow that lightning storm last night was incredible,” marveled Character A.

Character B looked down, thinking of last night and how loud the lightning was.  It lit up his entire house, and it seemed like it would go on forever.  Usually Character B didn’t care about storms, but this one felt so close and so loud, it was almost felt like his roof would come off at any moment.  Still, for most of the evening,  Character B just remained in his basement, reading books and waiting it out.  He shrugged.  “Not really.”

This is basically the same as above, but padded with internal exposition that is essentially useless to conversation.  If exposition serves no purpose to an interaction, then it’s informational but not particularly helpful for RPing.

example of NOT blocking:

“Wow that lightning storm last night was incredible,”  marveled Character A. 

Character B shrugged.  “Not really.” But then Character B looked down, thinking of last night and how loud the lightning was.  It lit up his entire house, and it seemed like it would go on forever.   He eyed Character A suspiciously.  “I tried to read, but the storm knocked my power out.  Don’t tell me it was just my house and not the whole neighborhood?”

This is the same as the other two examples, but Character B’s Player has taken the time and effort to think of how to keep the conversation going.  

———————————————

‘THE BEST’ VS ‘SHOW YOUR WORK’

RPing isn’t a competition, it should be collaborative.  Muns don’t need to prove the character is interesting by boasting about how great their muse is.  That’s bad RPing.  Your character might think they are better and they might act like they are better.  But as the writer, it’s up to you to make it clear that this is their opinion of how they see themselves.

If your character has an aspect that is a cut above others in some respect (they are extremely athletic, they are a skilled liar, they are effectively seductive, etc), then it is the Player’s responsibility to put in the work to demonstrate this via interaction and plot.

1. Show, don’t tell.

Saying your character is the more badass, or more reclusive, or more smart, or more sexy is an informed trait.  And informed trait is when a character’s trait is mentioned rather than demonstrated.  Example:

Character A had the best singing voice, this was undisputed.  No one could ever match her in singing, and she brought tears to the eyes of even the most stoic people with her beautiful singing.  When she sang, people had to stop what they were doing just to listen, so entranced were they that they’d forget everything else but that sweet sound.  Her voice was the purest and most angelic sound they had ever heard.

In an RP with many various Players and characters, this isn’t good RPing and it’s borderline godmodding.  You cannot write that ‘no one’ was better than her - how do you know?  It’s insulting to your RP partners to inform them that their characters should be impressed by your character’s trait, just because you wrote it. 

Here’s an alternative (the modest version):

Character A was convinced that she had the best singing voice.  Her tutor told her that no one could ever match her in singing, and she never doubted his opinion.  She prized her talent, and was eager to share it with others.  Would other people feel the same way  that her tutor did?  Was he truly in awe of her talent, or was he just paid to tell her that?  She really hoped it was the former.  She really believed she could bring happiness to people with her voice.  

Here you are giving the other Player’s character a rightful chance to decide for themselves.  Maybe they do like her singing voice, maybe they don’t, maybe they’re neutral.  They have their own reasons for liking or disliking things.  You’ve established that Character A can sing, and it’s up to the other character to help her shine (or not shine!)

Here’s another example (the vanity version):

Character A decided that she had the best singing voice.  Other people tried to say they could sing just as well, but she always found flaws in their singing, whereas she only saw perfection in her own.  She deserved to be a star, and the rave reviews proved it to her.  The criticizing reviews were just petty and jealous, of course.  At least this is what she told herself, when she ripped the newspaper clippings into thin shreds.   Nothing was going to get in her way of achieving her success.  

Here, you are establishing that yes, she likely does have a good singing voice, but she also has flaws surrounding it.  This version is not so much about how others are in awe, as it is about how Character A is seeing her talent through a very biased lens.  It adds a complexity to the character that is missing from the original version.  

NOTE #1:   NPCs are an echo chamber. Having NPCs in your exposition confirm your character’s trait demonstrates nothing. 

NOTE #2:  Stop relying on that FC.  Yeah, you think your FC is hot.  All FCs are hot.  Pretty much all Players think their character/FC is fantastic.  It’s simply not enough to just proclaim your character is amazing and then sit back.  Show your work!

2. Be generous!

A character can be an ass, but Players shouldn’t be.  All Players should make an effort to enjoy aspects other people’s characters.  It will enrich the RP experience.  By giving others an opportunity to shine, both characters will end up shining.

If you find you are constantly writing (in exposition or in dialog) that the other person’s character is wrong, stupid, foolish or any other negative trait when that Player is trying to interact in a thread, it can get not just exhausting but also frustrating.    Use exposition to make it clear that even if your character is being an ass, it doesn’t mean you think the other character is terrible.

Example of being an ass:

Character A did something.

Character B snorted impatiently.  That was a stupid thing that Character A just did.  What was she thinking?  She clearly had no clue what she was doing.  “Here, let me do that, you’ll just mess it up.”

Basically all you’ve done as a writer was put the other writer (and their character) down.  That’s not fair or good RPing.   

Example of the character being an ass:

Character A did something.

Character B snorted impatiently.  He believed she wasn’t doing it right, because he’d been taught a specific method.  And his way was the only way - at least, in his bullheaded opinion. Character B simply couldn’t understand any alternative, and so he decided she was wrong. “You’re ruining it,” he complained, even though Character A was not.  He made a grab for it.  “Let me do that, you’re messing it up.”

This way, the writer acknowledges that THEY are aware that Character B isn’t necessarily right, even if Character B thinks he’s totally right.  

——————————————— 

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Last but not least: IT IS NO ONE ELSE’S JOB TO ENTERTAIN OR IMPRESS OTHER CHARACTERS.

No other character ever needs to prove to another character that they are ‘worthy’ of being RP’d with.  Unless it’s been pre-planned between Players. Otherwise this is just an implied ‘impress me’ OOCly from one Player to another. Helpful points:

• Don’t put other characters (and their Players) through RP ‘tests’.  
  • Don’t expect them to perform for your character’s whim while you give nothing in return.
  • Don’t put the onus on the other Player to devise clever and imaginative ways to have their character be acceptable to yours.
  • Don’t use a character’s ‘boredom’ as an excuse for lack of imagination.  
  • Don’t challenge other characters to impress your character
  • Don’t withhold RP just because your character has deigned the other character inadequate somehow

Example of an RP test:

“Hi there,” Character A grinned.  “Can you help me out?  I’m in a bit of trouble.”

Character B folded his arms as he stared at Character A.  “Why would I help you?”  Character B wasn’t going to budge until Character A gave him a good reason to. 

Don’t force the other Player to drive the interaction, especially by having to ‘wow’ your character. Giving ultimatums or threats of denying RP if they don’t come up with the perfect way to convince your character is bad RPing.

Here’s a better way to write this scenario:

“Hi there,” Character A grinned.  “Can you help me out?  I’m in a bit of trouble.” 

Character B folded his arms and squinted at Character A, sizing her up.  “I don’t just help anyone, you know.  I’m busy doing my own thing and I got enough trouble of my own.” He could have left it there, but something about Character A’s odd grin made him relent slightly.  “What do you need help with, anyway? Not that I’ll help.  I’m just asking.”  

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 51days ago3 Replies
 61days ago0 Replies
 69days ago0 Replies
 84days ago0 Replies
 1009days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos