Prose

A letter from Guard Thomas of Goldshire [[Open]]

/ooc The letter is simple and sealed with a yellow wax and symbol of Goldshire.

To Commander Etharion of the Servitors of Lothar,

On this day, I did witness an act by one of your own, one Skjorva, of rank recruit, did knowningly slaughter a cow.  The cow in question belonged a local farmer to help feed the war effort.

When questioned by myself as to her willful destruction of said cow, her response was simply, "Spy".  When queried further she explained, "Well, a cow is a bovine, and a tauren is a bovine, so then would not the cow be a spy?"

Having educated her on this mistake, I would ask that you educate this Draenei on what is and isn't a spy.

I thought before I need to send this to the Magistrate in Stormwind, I thought you could make amends.  Reimbursement is demanded for the loss of the cow.

Signed,

Guard Thomas of Goldshire.

ps. The use of excessive magic causing the cow to explode was completely unnecessary.

To Guard Thomas of Goldshire, my compliments and greetings:

I have arranged the transfer of funds for full reimbursement of the farmer's cow at current market value.  The transfer should take place no later than this weekend and gold will be sent directly to Goldshire Defense.  I trust that you will see it properly paid to the farmer for his loss.

Thank you for apprising me of Applicant Skjorva's action.  Trust that they will not be repeated.

My sincere respects,

Cmndr. Etharion Longsight

Servitors of Lothar

((This private note to Skjorva is marked with a lion's head seal.))

Applicant Skjorva,

I have been informed by Guard Thomas of Goldshire that you destroyed the private property of a civilian, namely one cow.  Please note that reimbursement for the cow will come out of your stipend.

Also note that destruction of the cow, even if you believed it to be a Tauren spy, is a direct violation of our Rules of Engagement.  Perhaps you did not fully understand them.  You shall correct this matter by copying them down with the addition, in your own words, of your understanding of each point and why each Rule is in place.  Just in case you have lost the copy you were given when you received your Handbook, Signs and Signals, and communicator, I have enclosed another copy.

In addition I will be assigning a Servitor to assist you in furthering your education about the beasts of Azeroth.

This is the second time you have taken it upon yourself to execute a presumed enemy.  On pain of ejection from the Servitors of Lothar, there had better not be a third.

- Cmndr. Longsight

Skjorva takes her letter and heads into her room at the guild hall.  The room is sparse.  She doesn't believe owning more than one can carry.  She pulls her quill and parchment and pens a letter.

To: Commander Etharion

Here are the Rules of Engagement and I will be editing inline the responses to your questions.

NOTHING IN THESE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT LIMITS YOUR RIGHT TO TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION TO DEFEND YOURSELF AND YOUR UNIT.

A. You have the right to defend yourself against attacks or threats of attack.

While I understand the right to defend one's life.  I believe we should have the right to defend others in need.  Should a town come under attack by rogue horde agents, I believe we should answer the call for aid and slaughter the enemy.  The alternative is too stand idly by and watch the civilians be slaughtered.

Do threats of attack include those perceived?  I will ask our superiors for orders.

B. Hostile fire may be returned promptly and effectively to stop a hostile act.

I agree wholeheartedly.

C. When Alliance forces are attacked by unarmed hostile elements, mobs, and/or rioters, Alliance forces should use the minimum force necessary under the circumstances and proportional to the threat.

Unarmed is the key word.  I ask then, what if they are armed?  What is our course of action should we take then?

E. You may not seize the property of others to accomplish your mission.

What if a weapon of mass destruction such as war machines are available to defend the alliance?  Could I use that instead of just blasting the enemy?

F. Detention of civilians is authorized only for security reasons or self-defense.

I agree, would polymorph be an acceptable form of restraint?

REMEMBER:

THE ALLIANCE IS NOT AT WAR.

I will not willingly and openly attack a horde town or city or it's people even if they deserve it.

TREAT ALL PERSONS WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT.

I will take the upper road in all interactions with all peoples.  However, I ask, does this include dragons?

USE MINIMUM FORCE TO CARRY OUT THE MISSION.

I find I have a problem with this. I will adhere to it, but I ask, if I am forced into action to deter the enemy by engaging them, would not an excessive show of shock and awe be better to weaken the morale of the enemy to reduce the number of causalities necessary to defend those necessary?

ALWAYS BE PREPARED TO ACT IN SELF-DEFENSE.

The Forsaken have a saying, "Patience, Discipline".  Patience to await their betrayal as history has shown.  Discipline to slaughter them when ordered to.

Applicant Skjorva,

I will attempt to answer your questions as they appeared, in order.

1.  Yes, ask your superior for orders.  No, threats of attack do not include those perceived.

Perception is by definition limited, and often at odds with objective reality.  For example:  several years ago a patrol in the Arathi Highlands came upon a band of trolls by surprise.  The patrol was full of recruits and one of them had an itchy trigger finger.  He saw trolls, saw that they were armed and acting defensively, and immediately attacked them without orders.  The trolls naturally reacted with force, which drew the rest of the patrol into combat.  When the fighting was over, the trolls lay dead.  What we discovered was that they were not a Horde advance force, but a hunting party of civilians from one of the local unaffiliated troll tribes, out looking to feed their families.  Because of one hothead who perceived a threat and acted rashly without orders, several Servitors spent days in the infirmary, troll women lost husbands, troll children lost fathers, and all the previously neutral tribes would have been enraged and stirred up against us if our part in their deaths were discovered.

You saw a cow and perceived a threat where there was none.  Your perception was wrong, and so were your actions.

2.  If they are armed, the rule still applies.  We are to use the minimum force necessary and react proportionally to the threat.  

What is our course of action then?  Your course of action is to ask your superior for orders, and then carry them out.

3.  War machines are not classified as weapons of mass destruction.  Plague is a weapon of mass destruction.  Mana bombs are weapons of mass destruction.

We have access to the Wildhammer tanks.  All Servitors are strongly encouraged to learn how to operate them.  We have used the Wildhammer tanks in the past to defend Aerie Peak when it came under siege.  On the field of battle it is acceptable to turn captured ordinance against the enemy, provided it is conventional weaponry.  

4.  Polymorph is an acceptable form of restraint.

5.  "Even if they deserve it."  Who are you, Applicant, to judge who is deserving or not?  Who am I to decide that?  We attack or defend not based on who deserves it, but based on what is actually threatening the Alliance and all innocent civilians. And yes, innocent civilians can include Horde too.

6.  "Does this include dragons?"  Is this supposed to be humor?  I'm not laughing.  At all.  I am about as far from amused as is possible.  

Or is this a serious question?  If so, perhaps my previous admonition over the comm was not strong enough.  In either case you will report to Sergeant Roiya Shadowpaw for further education about dragons.  

Do not test me again on this issue.  The next time you raise your hand or spell against one of the Flights, I will hand you over to them myself.

7.  Regarding "shock and awe."  The interesting thing about so-called "shock and awe" tactics is that they rarely work as intended.  (I would say "never" but am hesitant to make it an absolute, as there are surely instances where poorly-trained, poorly-disciplined troops were demoralized and scattered by a show of power.)  Personally, I have never seen a force demoralized by "shock and awe."  In my experience, what demoralizes troops is not "shock and awe" but a long, slow, bloody grind for little or no gain.  (That, or overwhelming surprise followed up quickly by a strong offensive that never gives them a chance to recover.)

I direct you to "Shock and Awe:  A Widely Misunderstood Effect" by Maj. Paul Jason Blakesley.  It is interesting reading and we should have a copy in our library; inquire with our Chronicler Lirren Stoneforge if you have difficulty finding it.

8.  Patience and discipline are excellent virtues.  I suggest you practice them.

Sincerely,

Cmndr. E. Longsight

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 55days ago3 Replies
 65days ago0 Replies
 73days ago0 Replies
 88days ago0 Replies
 1014days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To