Information

Ranks and Level Equivalents for Paladins ((OOC))

Etharion got me thinking last night when he mentioned that an alt of his would not have taken the vows yet for Paladin-hood. This go the mind spinning, and I began drawing forth my cornucopia of military knowledge for inspiration.

Levels 1-9: Page
At this point you are under the direct supervision of your commander and since for the most part you are in the beginning tutorial of step and fetch, it makes sense. Pages are still over-glorified swordsmen, more like (wo)men-at-arms. Since we don't have our own mount yet, we haven't won our spurs for knighthood. Note however that Paladins learn Holy Light at 7 and Word of glory at 9 ... would ordination. i.e., formal sanction and recognition by the powers of Light, be required to cast these spells?

Levels 10-19: Paladin-Squire (Esquire, your choice)
The Squire in medieval usage was the rank below Knight .. the K.I.T. Knight in Training. Still no mount, no spurs, no knighthood .. .BUT! Redemption at 12 (Raise dead), Lay on hands at 16 (Big heal) and Exorcism at 18 (the power of the Light compels you!). This, to me, is big juju so I think ordination as a Brother/Sister would happen at 12.

<Prior stands in front of an altar in an array of splendor and authoritay (sic).>
“Enter supplicant that you may receive the blessing of the Light.”
<Supplicant lowers head on bent knee, resting hands on weapon point-down and passing the Prior an pouch filled with coins>
“May the Light find this, my humble tithe, proof of my actions in the name of Justice and find me worthy to bear the Holy Light into the darkness of the world.”
<Prior takes the proffered pouch and with practiced hand and keen ear determines it's value.>
“We find your tithe ample evidence of your struggle in the name of the Light to push back the Shadow of evil back to the Darkness from which it sprang.” <a touch on each shoulder with an holy relic.> “Arise Brother and/or Sister Ipawnyouxxor, Paladin-Esquire of the Order of the Silver Hand and may the Light shine upon you and all your blessings. <<sotto voce>> Get a new name noob.

Level 20 – 49: Knight-Errant
You win your spurs and your freedom to do as you see fit. No longer are you chained to the <insert curse here> Flight masters and you can come and go as you please. I think at this point you can call yourself Sir or Dame if you choose to.

By the way, is the Paladin's mount considered to be a flesh and blood mount, or a summoned mystical horse. Not sure how the lore describes it. I'd lean towards flesh and blood, touched by the Light with exceptional courage, intelligence and a uncanny instinct to be in the right place at the right time, ala the old school DnD Paladin's warhorse.

Level 50 + Knight-Paladin
This is it, Plate armor at level 50 ... the big show. Protection specialties also get Divine Shield at 48 (the trouble bubble). Perhaps a confirmation of vows, conferment of title and/or rank? The only thing I see as a real distinction as far as skills and abilities afterward is level 80 Mastery (which I know nothing about).

Comments people … especially Eth and/or other Kaniggits.
Red, short answer is: LOVE IT.

Back before the Cataclysm, I happened upon an RP ceremony in the Cathedral where a young paladin was making his vows and getting his title. It was really neat to watch. (I don't remember which guild did it but it was a paladins-only guild.)

IIRC you had to finish a quest to get the level 20 paladin mount, but it was relatively simple. But I think to get the charger later on, that was a major ordeal and you had to go on a long quest. So I'm thinking maybe the mount is a souped-up horse as you describe, but the charger is possibly a Light-touched familiar, or a horse inhabited by one. Or I could be totally off the mark. Happy

Being as I main as a Human Paladin, I love this as well. And your thoughts on the charger, Eth, are amazing. I think I may actually start incorporating that into my RP. Thanks! :)

"Arthas! The blood of your father, of your people, demands justice! Come forth, coward, and answer for your crimes!" - Highlord Bolvar Fordragon; The Wrath Gate, Dragonblight

"Put your faith into the Light, and anything is possible." - Highlord Tirion Fordring

"A swordbrother is a brother, and a brother is family." - Sir Eirianedryd Pureheart Malor

Avatar Art by Diane Kraus, http://www.dianekraus.com/
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 59days ago3 Replies
 69days ago0 Replies
 78days ago0 Replies
 92days ago0 Replies
 1018days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre