Information

Role-playing Healing Scenes

Goto page Previous  1, 2
H. Pearce wrote:

It still feels like I'm missing something, though, and I don't think I can blame it all on the pressure to keep things succinct. What are everyone's thoughts?

Don't worry about succinct. That's my job (I am not kidding about butchering people's writing. When it comes to essays, I am La Belle Editrix sans Merci). Please spend as many words as you need to explore your thoughts. The more people ramble, the more I have to work with.

Speaking of which, I've collated major (unedited) points posted through Monday. The ongoing composition is at http://tinyurl.com/3rol375 . Anyone who would like editing privileges can PM me their email address. I'll turn it into a rough draft and update the original post this weekend.
Original updated. Please see notes at the top.
I'm bumping this, because I just realized some recent IC observations are relevant to this discussion.

As our numbers are growing, we're starting to get more and more spectators for healing scenes where there's only one patient. How is this sitting with people, OOCly? Both I and my character have been content to just fall back, wait for instructions, and just generally try to soothe people's nerves, but that happens to work very well for my character. Others seem a bit unsure of how to participate.

Are there other ways we can engage others? Not much comes to my mind beyond coming up with longer and longer lists of things to fetch or minor tasks to do, but I bet there's an awesome idea out there in your heads.
I don't mind being a spectator IC, sometimes my characters have their own motivations for hanging around and just watching. It also gives me a good chance to see people in action both from an IC and OOC perspective - it's hardly boring!

On that note Mae and Tarnne did somethings with Goric's healing which I thought were really spiffy, and which helped to bring in those of us that were just lingering around. Firstly, once Goric was stabilized and they'd dealt with the most serious wounds Mae drew Wena and Ollie over and turned it into a teaching session, even going so far as to offer to let them handle some of the more minor wounds. Neither took her up on the offer, but they did get more involved there after. After that Tarnne involved everyone still in the room in an attempt to rid Goric of whatever curse he'd been afflicted with. Joining hands and lending energy/support to the main healer gave me a chance to throw some peripheral emotes that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I think those are two good examples of how to bring additional folks into a healing where it's not a life-threatening situation.
H. Pearce wrote:
As our numbers are growing, we're starting to get more and more spectators for healing scenes where there's only one patient. How is this sitting with people, OOCly? Both I and my character have been content to just fall back, wait for instructions, and just generally try to soothe people's nerves, but that happens to work very well for my character. Others seem a bit unsure of how to participate.

Are there other ways we can engage others? Not much comes to my mind beyond coming up with longer and longer lists of things to fetch or minor tasks to do, but I bet there's an awesome idea out there in your heads.

The thing you didn't see occurring during this scene happened in /o.

As soon as I realized there were a buncha spectators for that scene I asked myself how Mena would feel about it and responded IC, directing the ranking person to, in the future, use the presence of a non-critical patient for an educational experience.

Of course, Mena was more bitchy about it. Poor Mae!

Bringing the 'school' aspect into it and eliciting dialogue has, I've found, to be a good way to help folks stay involved and engaged.
In the healing scene with Goric once I found out he was cursed I decided to use a ritual magic scene. I have always thought shamanistic magic would have rituals for some things. I involved all the spectators in the ritual as a way of getting them involved. I think it worked well.

Photobucket

"Duty is everything: the greatest of joys and the deepest of sorrows."
Ah, I actually left partway through that scene, so I hadn't seen what Mae and Tarnne did. Really great ideas, both!

I hope that other creative solutions like those get a mention here for everyone's reference. We have lots and lots of IC healers - which is a great thing. That means more minds on the task, and more interesting variations. The more inclusive ideas we have onhand, the less characters we'll have spending all of their time in the back, scuffing their shoes on the floor and saying, "For a healer, I don't seem to heal much."

And FWIW, as it's tangentially related, I saw that the handbook describes the Chaplain as the person in charge of physical healing tasks as well. I've been happy to delegate the actual action to others, as in my mind I see Hildan overseeing and looking for problems that might be harder to spot in the heat of the moment. Besides which, I've already ample opportunity to interact with everyone on the counseling side, and want to spread the spotlight.
I hadn't honestly thought to use it as a lesson, but it was a good idea. And though Mena had to get a lil tough with Mae, it really wasn't that bad, and in the future I can use that to keep spectators involved.

However, the hard part with some spectators *coughbrommcough* is that you'd think they would have some professionalism, but end up freaking out, which has the potential to really screw with your concentration. Now, I'm not saying it is a BAD thing, because there will be those that do it. What Prikka and I found for those people is to be the Fetcher, but don't rely upon them to do difficult or even medium difficulty tasks.
Maybe that's yet another opportunity, Mae. If a spectator is losing his/her professional composure, someone else can be put on "calm that maniac down" duty, perhaps?
Yeah... I apologize for Bromm's actions. It was meant to be more of a comic relief at that point.

The thing that happened there was that Bromm was not expecting what had happened with the broken leg, and again was not expecting to be called on to help in that situation, so he freaked. "Perhaps" I went a tad overboard with it, as Bromm has witnessed numerous healing scenes and even been the subject of a few, but I guess there's just something about broken bones (and re-breaking bones) that got to him. I feel like the approach Mae and Prikka took by making Bromm a "fetcher" was a feasible idea as it did actually calm Bromm down ICly.

Bumping this so I finish it. I completely forgot about it!

ETA: I lied. I will never finish it.

Last edited by Kethri Weaver on Sep. 14th, 2012 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Been a while since this got a bump.

Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 59days ago3 Replies
 69days ago0 Replies
 77days ago0 Replies
 92days ago0 Replies
 1018days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!