History

Fallen Guardian - (Maikel)

((A short story snippet from a write up on just how Kel became a death knight. Thought it might be interesting to share! ))

“He's your brother for Goddess sake, Auroran! What have you done with him?!” The hunter was on his knees, clutching his stomach in agony....he felt as if his body had been set afire, though there was no flame. “Where...is...Acuenthas...” As the shadow overtook him and his mind reeled into blackness, Maikel Garravore knew two thing. They had underestimated Auroran and the Faron family would be in grave danger for doing so...and...he had failed.

---------------------------------------------

- Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. -

The House of Faron, was a very old family. One that had embraced the abandonment of magic by the elves with zeal. Making their home in the frozen mountains of Winterspring, where they dwelt for unnumbered centuries.

Their peace was disturbed abruptly when Elka...the dreamer...foresaw the birth of the twins. Acuenthas and Auroran, would come into the world...and they would be drawn to magic like their father before them. Bringing a curse upon the House of Faron. Surely something could be done about this?

And so the Elders sought to create a Guardian. He would be born of the dreamer, as it was she who had foretold. His sire would be chosen for his strength, stature, intelligence and skill, and disposed of once his part was done. The Guardian would be born into his role, educated thoroughly by the family...never truly a child. Duty, honor and servitude...his life for the family. And when he reached adulthood his charges would be born...his purpose clear.

The twins would choose the paths of the priesthood. Seemingly harmless, but still drawing on more magic than the Elders wished. Decades would pass uneventfully, until fate chose to play her hand. And when she did, not even the Elders' carefully crafted Guardian would be able to stop her. It was in Desolace that the shadow came. Auroran would fall for the sake of his brother....

The Guardian had taken a young wife...Caera. She had befriended his charges, much like an elder sister. When Auroran fell she insisted on being the one to go for him. Maikel had enough to do for the family, she could bring back the wayward. He would ever blame himself for the decision. It was too late when Caera arrived. Her own mind was turned upon itself until, unable to take it, she took a dagger to the side of her head to stop what he put there.

The family declared Auroran irredeemable, his sentence death. And so the Guardian was forced to become a dual aspect. One whom would protect the remaining and hunt the fallen. Whom, abandoned by all he knew, would plummet more into the darkness. Succumbing to the shadows in his mind.

And it is thus, that things reached what they were....

---------------------------------------------

It is a strange state we reach, between life and death. Are we sleeping, waking, dreaming? It is hard to know. Maikel thought, at least, that he opened his eyes...that he saw the rushing waters of the Southfury River as it tore its way between Ashenvale and Azshara. They would be his last waking memory.

The broken body of the Kal'dorei man washed up on the banks of the river. A large white wolf lay beside it, refusing to leave. Companion...no, more like the other half of the once living. The scourge scouts deployed by the necropolis could not be bothered by such things. “This one is in good condition...dispatch of the mutt and bring him.”

Somewhere deep in the frozen wasteland that was now Winterspring, a woman's scream pierced the night. For now...monsters walked her dreams.

Last edited by Maikel Garravore on Oct. 26th, 2009 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Astranaar was quiet...peaceful. Stars danced in the velvety purple night sky. Elka Faron sat on the end of the docks, watching the waves ripple quietly. The past five months had been difficult, with the dreamer finding little rest. Her dreams were plagued with monsters, darkness, death...undeath.

She heard the sound of hooves on the boards behind her. A horse in Astrannar? “Who is there?” Her eyes went wide as she turned, the sight that greeted her making her fall to her knees. Atop a ghoulish steed burning with blue flame sat a fully armored phantom whom looked as if he had ridden straight out of her nightmares. He slipped from the saddle, stepping closer....behind the tusked helm he wore only eyes could be seen, as dancing and bright blue as the flames of the beast he rode. “What do you want?” The woman's voice bordered on terror. That which came in reply was low, gruff and reverberating.

“I've been looking for you....”

“You...I know you....that voice.” Elka shivered, daring to lift her face as the phantom removed his helm. Hair once a bright vibrant green hung as white as her own, against skin that had also lost all color, warmth...life.

“...Mother.” Elka let out a small cry, covering her face with her hands as he spoke the word.

“It cannot be!”

“It is I...you know it...you can feel...” There was pain carved on the cold, stone like face. Unable to bear it, Elka collapsed. The shock, the realization...too much.

Maikel knelt down, lifting his mother gently. Had he expected it to go any other way? Carrying her to the nearby inn, he lay her carefully on a bed, fetching a damp cloth for her forehead. She groaned a little bit as she began to come to. “What....” He sat on the edge of the bed, brushing a bit of hair from her face. “How can this be? My son...”

“It is me mother, it is Maikel.” He fell silent for a moment, reading the confusion in her eyes. “Can you feel it? What I am?”

“Yes. The dreams, they make sense now. I could not have thought...”

“I am sorry it has taken me so long to wake up. To return to you.” The gruff voice wavered. “I belonged to Him for a time. But mercifully some of us have broken free, have seen our way back.”

“Oh, Maikel...” Elka began to cry. He frowned, hands moving to brush the tears from his mother's cheek.

“Please, don't cry.”

“I thought you would be lost to me forever.”

“I thought I was. I have failed the family.”

“No...we have failed ourselves...and brought our own destruction. He should not have lived...It's such a terrible thing to say...I know. Have you seen what is left of the House, yet?”

“I saw the ruins. It was the first place I sought.”

“There are few of the Elders now. Many of us seeking peaceful lives far away from that place.”

“What do you wish of me?”

“My first thought is of revenge...but...I do not even know if that is what I want. Auroran needs to answer for all that he has done.”

“You know it was Auroran that killed me?”

“Yes...I had...a dream months later. I did not want to believe it. We hunted him relentlessly.”

“And then he struck back, and they fell?”

“Yes. We made a mistake and brought Acuenthas into it. I did not know the elders had him until it was too late.”

“Acuenthas?”

“He had been living in the Hinterlands with a mage.”

“I'm afraid death dealt a strong blow to my information,” He shook his head, “Last I had known, Auroran had taken him. I've fallen behind.”

“Not just Auroran, but others on his side came to reclaim him. They were too powerful...”

“What did they think they could gain by taking Acuenthas?”

“They wanted to draw Auroran to them...it had been months, we had lost so many. They were desperate. In the end, they wanted both the twins dead...and this is the result.”

“Both! That was never part of any arrangement. And had I been alive? I would have died anyway with them...was that to be the case?”

“Don't say that...I would never have let you die. Not you nor Acuenthas.”

“But the elders?” Maikel shook his head. Trying desperately to put all the new information into order and make sense of it. “What is to be my duty then...and whom do I serve?” Elka sat up.

“I wish I knew, my child.”

“Very well,” he sighed, “For now, I will continue my duty to Acuenthas....and my new duties toward the Ebon Blade and their place in the Alliance. When the family needs me. I'm sure you can make it known.” She nodded as he rose from her bedside. “Do you need for anything, Mother?”

“Just...” She paused watching the phantom of her son. “Come to see me when you can. Even if you are...what you are. You are still my son. I don't mind living peacefully here.”

“As you wish.” Elka stood, hugging him carefully and as he returned the hug Maikel began to relax. Perhaps for the first time since his arrival.
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
TopicPostedReplies
 58days ago3 Replies
 68days ago0 Replies
 76days ago0 Replies
 91days ago0 Replies
 1017days ago1 Replies
Recent Awards

Dead!

Awarded To
Izarre

Best Typos